Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Expansion Tank Top Hose

martyn

I've recently refilled the coolant in my Sigma and just want to double check everything is ok..

With the engine running, there is coolant continuously flowing from the top expansion tank hose. Is this normal? I've never noticed it before and assumed this was a bleed pipe removing air from the radiator.

On a related note (and I suspect the answer to the above has something to do with this)...  My sigma radiator doesn't have a bleed screw.  Does it need bleeding or is it 'self bleeding'?

For reference here is a picture of an identical setup to mine..

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii19/320bimmerman/GARAGE/Caterham/IMG_5102.jpg

My Sigma has a constant flow into the expansion bottle which I thought unusual, but Caterham tell me it's normal.  I'm in the process of my build, and on my car there is no small T piece to the radiator, simply a straight feed from the back of the head into the top of the expansion bottle.  However I do have a bleed screw at the top of the radiator, and got a little air out of this after my first run up.

Mine does that

Do you mean you have a continuous coolant flow from the small top hose?

If I understand your linked post, you've used a banjo bolt into the bleed port to achieve the same setup that I already have?  Giving yourself the same 'self bleeding' convenience?