Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR wings on a S3

mcerbm

I naively thought this might of been a straight swap. But looking at the archives I see they are not.

Is there a supplier who has taken the concept / style of the CSR wings and made a product to suit a 185/55/13 tyre on a standard / race type S3 wing stay? preferably in ABS / plastic.

• 3 weeks later...

I run CSR front wings on my S3. They're glassfibre and you have to run their unique wing stays too so it's a biggish job. On the upside the wings shouldn't fly off if the glue comes unstuck (don't ask me how I know...).

They're a bit too wide for 185x60x13s (still work but aesthetically not great), but if you cut (hacksaw or Dremel) a 3cm strip out of the middle of the wing, you should get down to about the right width (but do measure and check first!). Then just glassfibre the two parts back together, add a bit of filler, re-shape the front edge of the wing with a file and repaint and Robert is your brother's sibling.

That sounds simple but I had put off that job for years. In the event, it was much simpler and easier than I had feared and the finished wings look good. You can run the leading edge very close to the tyre, which helps stop air getting under the wings (one of the issues with standard S3 wings). Then, because the wings are quite short at the back and air is channeled to the outside edge I believe the aero effect is quite good.

I think the shape was developed originally by Axon for Caterham and those guys had Cranfield University aerodynamic input - hence the unusual but effective shape.

Other than Caterham wings may work too but I think quite a lot of work went into the Caterham shape so other designs may look good/better but not sure how well they'd work.

Good luck!

Andy

Thanks Andy, were they genuine csr wings? The kitcardirect items are 7" so narrower than csr and they don't have the lug that matches with the csr wingstay so it looks like it was designed for a s3 wingstay. Other than that the shape looks very similar to OEM csr wings. Do you have photos of your wings I could see?

had a phonecall with kitcar direct, they arent far away from being able to provide a CSR style wing to suit the width of a 185/55 front tyre, they currently only sell the 220mm wide version. Its developed to work with the lowered race style S3 wingstay. i.e. there was a large customer group who wanted the csr advantage for aero but on a S3 on race wingstays. sounds like the perfect solution! unfortunately not ready in time for my first race in 2 weeks time.