Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clamp On Mirrors?

online_mark123

Hi everyone. Not had my Caterham for one, but took the doors off today for a quick ride to see what it was like. However, I don't want to make a habit of it without fixed mirrors.

Does anyone use clamp on mirrors (clamped to the windscreen) instead of drilling the windscreen frame and fitting them that way?

Thank you,

Mark.

These work well and look really good. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caterham-Mirrors-Aero-Race-Pair-Matt-Black-billet-aluminium-immediate-dispatch-/272002904811?fits=Car+Make%3ACaterham&hash=item3f54a2f2eb:g:C44AAOSwMmBVuIR7

Not fitted them to my old car but a couple of locals have.

Just by the bye, as all the interior 'barnacle' mirrors I have used have proven useless, I simply modified one to clip over the top of the windscreen - works well and is easily removed.

Mark - I'd be really interested to know how good these are when you have them fitted.  Nearside door-mounted mirror never seems to show enough.  The pictures on the website show a mirror fitted with the door in place - are you going to try that out?  Or just use it without the doors?

Hopefully these mirrors will solve your issues.

We tried a few things on ours and finally ended up with some Spa convex mirrors attached to the side screens. The convex glass means you can see more in them and what you can see doesn't vibrate as much.

Running without sidescreens but with the windscreen can be pretty unpleasant due to the massive low pressure zone in the cockpit and the big swirl of wind around the edges of the screen into the side of your head.

The other pain is having stanchion mounted mirrors and sidescreens. That means you can't open the sidescreens more than say 80 degrees, rather than 190 so they stay open along the bonnet.

Our car spends at least half the year with aeroscreens on anyway, which is a whole different set of fun

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...