Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trackday insurance

HeMan

Hello all,

Getting quotes from insuremytrackday.com and Morris and price seems to be the only differentiator, but the thought occurs; has anyone ever made a claim?

If anyone has, perhaps what happened then would be a better deciding factor?

P.S. Any other suggestions of companies would be useful too?

Unfortunately my road insurance isn't due and too be honest (although I can't recall who I was using for this back then) when I go on a track day, more often than not I will invite a friend or two along who aren't on the policy.  As I recall I had to add them to the road insurance to have them on the track insurance which is more hassle than its worth.  One-day track only insurance gives the flexibility to add whoever I want for the day without having to delve into their life history!

But with nearly 80 views and no replies from anyone who has needed to make a claim, maybe you are either all a safe bunch or this all says more about the need for insurance rather than who to choose???

Have you got a quote for single day track cover with an additional driver?

Single day cover is just so expensive. For the cost of just 1 day, it worked out cheaper for me to cancel my road policy and move to another provider that included 5 days with the policy!  It is the only cost effective way to do it. 

How is calling up to add a temporary driver to your policy more hassle than arranging a complete new one day policy!?

In this case I needed 2 additional drivers and last time I tried to do this I had to get convictions, accident information, criminal history, DOB, employment, addresses, NCB etc etc etc to add a driver for the sake of a day!

I guess that sounds lazy, but last time I was taking a mate for a birthday present and asking all that stuff would have somewhat killed the surprise!

With the single-day insurance the most searching question they asked was their name and DOB.

Out of interest, this is what I got (£20k car, 2 additional drivers at Donington with Javelin for a full-day):

• moris.co.uk - £135 - £1,316 excess
  • skyinsurance.co.uk - £157 - £2,000 excess
  • insuremytrackday.com - £175 - £1,600 excess
  • reis.co.uk - £345 - £2,000 excess

When you arrange a single day cover, they need to know much more than just your additional drivers DOB.  They need to know all about you, your history, your car, the track, the date, the organiser.  How is doing that every single time easier than calling your road provider and telling them about a temporary driver.

Of course none of that really matters, it’s all about the cost.  My road policy with 5 trackdays is £230. Given your cheapest quote there, it would be £675 for 5 track days and that doesn't even include the road cover!  Like I said, it’s just not cost effective to do it that way.

Personally, I'd get a road policy with track cover included and that will cover 90% of situations. Then if you want to surprise a mate for their birthday, you can pay £135 for a single day policy and still be cheaper overall.

I use Moris, who are very easy to deal with and cheap but sorry I can't comment on how  they deal with claims since I fortunately I haven't needed to make one :)   £135 seems reasonable to me. 

I'll offer an alternative POV to martyn... 

For me road cover that includes track day insurance was at least a £300 premium on road-only insurance.  I'd have to do 3 TDs a year to make it worthwhile.  In  the first four years I did one TD a year so seperate TD insurance has worked out cheaper.

Also you cannot always add friends temporarily to annual policies.  My road insurers (Adrian Flux) do not allow that because I already have two named drivers (Dad and Wife) and that is the maximum allowed.

This year I have actually done four track days so it might have been cheaper to change annual policy but instead, to reduce the costs, I planned in advance and bought one policy to cover multiple specific days and drivers.

Moris are web-based and it is very quick and easy to get quotes and but cover, particularly if you have been quoted before because all info is saved.  I've also bought from CCI but they seem to be more expensive.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

One thing worth checking if you combine road and track insurance: does a prang on the track affect your no claims bonus for the road? I'm assuming it would, if you're combining the two. 

I've gone for Moris, who were really helpful today.

Ned

Trackday insurance always looks to me like something that doesn't make much financial sense.

Based on the cheapest quote above you'd need to do £1500 of damage (not counting any subsequent increase in road policies) before getting any benefit so you could do quite a lot of damage before the insurance brings any benefit.

How likely are you to have an accident on a car trackday?  Pretty unlikley as far as I can tell.  5 car trackdays, 80-ish cars at each and no one crashed.  I've got no idea what the 'crash per car trackday attendee' rate is but I'm sure it's pretty low, maybe 1 in 12 trackdays, so 1/1000 overall.  How many of the few that have a mishap run to over a grand and a half of damage?  Some, no doubt but I'll bet far from all.

Perhaps I'm less risk averse than others but its never seemed like good value for money.  Of course now I've said that I'll write my car off at the next one..

I think of track day insurance as write off insurance. It only really covers you for a major off as most damage you are likely to incur will be less than the excess. 

That said, I have seen 4 incidents at club track days that would have had bills that would be covered. (Mainly Cadwell, but also Spa - all of them on wet tracks)  

Steve