Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Raceco repack problem

subirg

Bit of a numpty question... But it needs asking!

i'm repacking my Raceco silencer. I've taken it off the car, taken the inlet end cap off, whipped out the old packing, loaded up new packing and I'm ready to reassemble.  When I try and refit the end cap, the inlet pipe is fouling on the core pipe and I can't get them to mate...

Is is there a simple way to solve this problem? Does the core pipe go inside our outside of the cap pipe? How can I persuade them together?

See - told you it was a numpty question, but enthusiastic beginners have to start somewhere!  Thanks.

Take the packing back out and refit the inlet cap. Remove the exit cap and fit the inner core onto the inlet cap pipe - core goes over the inlet pipe.Repack the silencer whilst holding the inner core centrally at the exit end. The exit cap has a longer pipe so you can easily engage it into the inner core - I build them that way to make re packing easier. 

I quick phone call or email would have avoided your problems....?

Problem solved!

I lifted the core slightly and managed to get enough overlap to seat the inlet cap pipe. Plain sailing after that...

Reason for working on the inlet side is that Ammo told me to go in that way and replace the inlet side packing when the outside of the can starts to show signs of discolouring at the inlet side. Saves replacing all the packing when it isn't needed. I'll work from the outlet side when I do a full re-pack though!

Really, when did Ammo tell you that?

The packing does burn away from the front because that's where the hottest gases arrive. But we've been telling people to slide the remaining packing forwards from the rear cap and repack the rear with new packing from the start. Or if the packing is heavily carboned to remove it and repack.