Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bonnet template duratec roller barrels

Angus

I am fitting the Caterham roller barrels to my R400 duratec.  Its an S3 with an early metric chassis.  I am going with the foam air filter, not the big track day airbox as per R500.  

I want just a small teardrop-shaped bonnet cutout that follows the line of the airfilter.

Arch will do the cutout, but require a template.  Caterham only do the big cut-out, even if you dont have the airbox.

Has anyone done this or got a template (or measurements) for the bonnet cutout for duratec roller barrels in an S3 metric chssis ?

Thanks

Angus

hi Angus 

Yes I did this when I swapped from a crossflow back in 2007, Blimey how time fly's.

I fitted the throttle bodies and filter and then measured out  from the nose cone and the top of the side panel to set the centre datum of the filter and them made the first hole a lot smaller hole to start the cuts. Use masking tape on the bonnet so you can see the pencil lines. Then keep measuring and checking and cutting more off the bonnet very carefully!

I finally set the hole so it was slightly tight to the filter so there was no gap between the bonnet and the filter. Even though I say myself, it looks good.

I bought some black electrical grommet strip that I glued to the edge of the hole with silicon so it had a safe edge all the way around and this presses onto the filter. The engine doesn't move much so this has not been a problem and looks better than some of the over large holes you see on some cars.

My engine is slightly forwards of a standard car so I can't send a template.

The cutting was done with a Hand Nibbler and a dremel and if you take your time it's quite easy.

Regards Andy D 

Hi Andy

Thank you for this comprehensive and prompt reply.  I have been holding off replying in case anyone comes forward with the magic template.  However no-one has so I am thinking that this combination of engine / induction / chassis is pretty rare!  

My plan is to get a 2nd hand bonnet that Caterham can cut their large hole into.  This at least gives me a driveable car. I will then create a template out of cardboard fixed to this bonnet by measuring and cutting - the method that you suggest.  This I will then take to Arch for them to cut into the bonnet.  I have more confidence in their cutting than mine! 

Meanwhile, with this BTT, has anyone got a template ?

• Support Team

I used an old damaged bonnet and cut an over large hole in it using a jigsaw. I then made an accurate cardboard template and transferred that to the new bonnet which I covered in masking tape around the area to be cut. I used a jigsaw to cut the new hole, finished with a file to remove the burrs and then stuck some u-channel trim strip onto it. I left a slight gap around the filter to make it easier to get the bonnet on and off and reduce rubbing.

large_IMG_0250_1.JPG.72ea92d8523d97ad06c7f393bdaf67dd.JPG

Shaun

Yes thats going to be my method, but I'm starting with a reasonable bonnet that Caterham will cut the large hole in (for the track-day airbox). I will then use this bonnet as the mount on which to make the cardboard template.

Craigy,

Yes I have thought of that - that is the downside of the foam filter and a small cutout.  However my second bonnet will have the large hole so if I ever want to do more trackdays then I will use that bonnet with an airbox.  I mainly use the car for touring these days.

Hi Angus

Good to read your thread.

An upgrade i hope to do in the near future.

If not too much trouble could you give me the low down on where you sourced your rollers and what ECU you plan you use.

Thanks Michael

Hi Michael 

i I am using the standard Caterham RB's. In fact it is the standard Caterham upgrade. The ECU is the standard MBE unit. You get a new map as part of the upgrade. However I plan to take it to the two Steves at Rainham to get it mapped properly. 

I I did think about doing it myself but didn't fancy the bonnet cutout or the map upgrade

Angus many thanks.

As i could not find the upgrade on the Caterham site I thought that it was no longer available.

Hope every thing goes ok and that you will be as pleased as john Aston with his conversion, the vehicle I mean!

Regards

michael

Ps be good to know how you got / get on.

Here is the link to the upgrade on the parts store:

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=3768

It showing as out of stock - I've never seen it not out of stock. I rang the parts department and they ordered it for me.  Took about 2 weeks from what I remember. However as I had booked the car in for CC to fit it about 4 weeks later the fact that it only took 2 weeks didnt really matter.

I am booked in for this Friday....

Here is the link to the upgrade on the parts store:

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=3768

It showing as out of stock - I've never seen it not out of stock. I rang the parts department and they ordered it for me.  Took about 2 weeks from what I remember. However as I had booked the car in for CC to fit it about 4 weeks later the fact that it only took 2 weeks didnt really matter.

I am booked in for this Friday....