Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow HT leads/distributor cap query

MusCat

Could some kind person tell me the order of the HT leads going into a side entry distributor cap on a 1700 xflow.

Placing the cap on a flat surface with the 5 connections facing you my understanding is that as the firing order is 1-2-4-3 and the arm goes counterclockwise the order should be:

Top right 1

Top left 2

Bottom left 4

Bottom right 3

Can anyone confirm this?

Also what is the specification would a suitable new battery.

Thanks

I'm afraid that there is no right answer to this. It all depends on how the builder of the engine set it up.

However, there is an easy way to tell. Take the spark plugs out and turn the engine to TDC (there are marks on the crank pulley for this and you don't have to be dead accurate. Then turn the engine back half a turn and bring it back to TDC again, but this time with a finger over either number one or number four spark plug hole; one of the two will force air past your finger as it is on its compression stroke. Whichever one of the two does this is at its firing point when you reach TDC, so all you have to do is look at the rotor arm and wherever it is pointing will be the correct position for the cylinder with the compression, be it number one or number four.

Your are correct about firing order and rotation.