Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Colour change Pros and Cons

finmac

My 7 is presently yellow and Ali. Seems I have 3 choices if I wish to colour change:

1. Paint the ali yellow

2. Paint the Ali some other contrasting colour (any suggestions on this one?!)

3. Paint the Ali a yummy blue like Viper or Audi Kingfisher

Appreciate your comments on the Pros and Cons also how much stripping of bits needs to be done i.e. suspension etc??

cheers *thumbup*

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE HEBRIDES 😬 *wink*

Maybe the answer here is to take some advice from Tom Waits: "I'd buy me a used car lot, and I wouldn't sell any of 'em, just drive a different car every day, depending on how I feel"

Mine is red and shabby, if it helps (it won't). Paint doesn't seem to stay on these things for long, and stones chip the sides. A lot of people recommend the clear film (Armourfend?) to stop this - seems like a good idea if you are contemplating a major respray.

Has it got cycles or clamsells? I think that cycles can take solid bright colours whereas clamshells need a more subdued colour. The standard bare ali panels also seem to look better with clamshells than cycles. That's just my opinion so don't shoot me *wink*.

Also have you set out a budget for this? If you are spraying the whole thing they will need to remove the extremities (front suspension etc.) to get the job done properly. TSK do all the spraying for Caterham and depending upon who you speak too they come highly recommended. Although these will be miles away from you, as will most places. If you do a search for TSK you should come up with a few threads on the painting of cars. You will also get Hoopy advising on the best possible colour scheme in many different threads 😳

Good luck and go with whatever feels right.

Nic

Depending how old the car is, unless the panels are std. Caterham yellow it might be tough to geta decent match to all panels anyway, so if you're going the painting route, you might be just as well painting all of it a colour that you want.

Not sure what needs to be taken off but I would think most bits to do a decent job. Will probably be getting mine done this year too (it's already all yellow but has a bit of bimetallic corrosion so could do with a reskin now and subsequent repaint). Stripping most parts off it will also allow you to tidy all those bits up too...

Thanks guys. Car has cycle wings.

Cost wise have a good pal who owns a paint/body shop so it will be done locally at a very reasonable price.

Has anyone experience of how well the (re) paint stays on the fiberglass?

I have visions of stone chips taking of big chunks of blue paint to reveal yellow below!

cheers Fin

Personally I would change the yellow bits to BRG, polish the ali and then you'll have the best colour scheme of all ...... but I would say that wouldn't I 😬?

Why buy an aluminium car and then paint it 😳

SV 52 CAT the mole is hibernating

I had my colour changed as part of the rebuild following my crash and spent ages deciding what colour to go for.

In the end I decided against metallic colours because they are a bit harder to touch up when the inevitable stonechips start to appear. I also decided against using the standard Caterham colours because of not being able to get touch-up paint from motor parts stores - when I did finally find a match for my old paint it was 2-pack paint and the local paint suppliers wouldnt sell me any because of the health and safety rules. The colour I eventually chose was a solid red from the Ford range.

I'm also having it armourfended to help reduce the number of chips it gets, the old paint was full of tiny marks and the bonnet was scratched where the doors rubbed on it.

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings.

Which is now bent ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ 🙆🏻 *mad* ☹️ but is being fixed *thumbup* *smile*