Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 K-Series Spark Plugs

Steve Causey

Time to change the plugs on my 2005 Academy 1.6 K-series. It produces 124 bhp and the original paperwork from Caterham states 'EU3'.

Scanning throughout the archives I think the plugs I need are NGK BCPR7ES torqued to 25 Nm - can anyone confirm?

Second question is what gap? NGK website says 0.7mm but elsewhere I've seen references to 0.9 mm.

Finally, the plugs seem very deep in the engine, any tips for extracting them?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by - steve causey on 27 Apr 2014 09:01:18

Steve

They are the NGK plugs I've been using since 1998. 0.9mm gap.

Re installation I use a long extension and only use the ratchet to do the first and last bit of tightening - everything else by hand so you can feel what's going on. You may need a pair of pliers to pull the caps off. Check down the tubes for debris and blow out before removing plugs. I ususally put a little blob of copper grease on the threads before re-installing. The first turn and engagement of the threads is where it can go badly wrong. As mentioned turn the extension bar with your fingers and back off if it goes tight.

Last job I do is wipe over the leads with a cloth with some WD40 on it just to get any muck off and help with damp repelling - might just be my OCD cleanliness kicking in!!

That's about it

Regards

Ian