Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HANS Harness mounting

TomGaval

Recently purchased a new HANS device, and looking at the instruction, it appears that the mounting points should be about 3 inches apart. I've read that Arch does the job, but popping over to do it is a bit of a bother from this side of the pond. 😬

Is it as simple as drilling the appropriate size hole in the rail, inserting a bung an TIG welding it in and then tapping it? Am I missing Anything in that assumption? Thx

Tom

I believe there is some formula to calculate the pos'n of the holes. It depends on the size of the driver (how far forward the seat is/ angle of the shoulder straps/etc/?)

The mountings are threaded bushes.

Arch issue a piece of paper certifying the installation.

Deffo worth a chat with Bruce to know exactly what is needed.

Peter

• Area Representative

Quoting TomGaval: 

Is it as simple as drilling the appropriate size hole in the rail, inserting a bung an TIG welding it in and then tapping it? [/pQuote

Yes, essentially, that's about it.

Quoting David Nelson: 
There are a few sprinters using HANS and we us a steel plate to take the bolt holes to the appropriate position.

For my own seating position, I was able to use one of the existing bosses, adding one new one to position the harness' correctly.

Height is also critical. I'm short, and sit low in the car, so my harnesses are actually bolted under the bulkhead top rail rather than over it. I've then cut slots in the bulkhead that they emerge through.

Quoting Richard Price: 
Quoting TomGaval: 

Is it as simple as drilling the appropriate size hole in the rail, inserting a bung an TIG welding it in and then tapping it? [/pQuote

Yes, essentially, that's about it.

Quoting David Nelson: 
There are a few sprinters using HANS and we us a steel plate to take the bolt holes to the appropriate position.

For my own seating position, I was able to use one of the existing bosses, adding one new one to position the harness' correctly.

Height is also critical. I'm short, and sit low in the car, so my harnesses are actually bolted under the bulkhead top rail rather than over it. I've then cut slots in the bulkhead that they emerge through.

As Richard says sitting height is critical. I had Arch fit mine and, as I understand it, the shoulder to anchor point angle range for the straps is 0 to -20 degrees from the horizontal.

I was able to use the top of the bulkhead top chassis rail, with both new points placed symmetrically to the centre line of the seat, inboard (unequally) of the existing anchor points. The holes in the Tillet seat required significant enlargement so the straps did not foul.

Thanks guys. My regular mechanic was concerned about the plate option and has been hesitant to make one up for me. A somewhat local Caterham dealer said that he could do the relocating with the tapped bung welded in. I'm 6'1 and it's an S3 chassis, with the standard cloth seats, that I removed the bottom from and formed a custom bead seat to get me a little lower to clear the roll bar, now a full cage.

I've done the calculation per HANS instructions and come up with a 3 inch bolt spacing. I'll definitely sit in the car and make sure the strap angle to the mounting point is per spec. I just wanted to make sure the process of drilling the chassis rail, installing the bung, welding and tapping it was the correct way. Tom

Hi Tom

Can send you a PDF of the HANS fitting instructions if you want. You might well already have them ?

Send me your email address if you want them.

Regards

Roger

Edited by - ECR on 11 Apr 2014 17:04:21

Thanks Rodger. I do have them as they came with my new purchase. After watching the video, with and without the hans device. I'm now anxious to get things right so that I can use it on my next trackday next week. After all these years, I still am in awe of the laps on Cadwell you took me on. Not that Keith and Alex were slouches either. *eek* *eek* *eek* I still aspire to drive like you guys.

Tom *wavey*