Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side Intrusion Bar and lowered floors

bluenose

• Area Representative

Have just acquired an older style SIB that bolts under the floor into the knee chassis rail and up by the roll bar. Has anyone fitted one to a lowered floor car? If I were to fit it I would probably need to drill through the side of the lowered floor and pass the bar through and then attach it to the chassis. Will my plan work?

Seems like Myles asked a similar question 9 years ago but there were no replies. here

Nick

• Area Representative

Matthew

That is what I might do, but just wanted confirmation that is is possible from someone who has done it, before I commit to drill a 'kin great hole in my floor. Other thing is will it have room next to the floor to bolt to the chassis?

Nick

I haven't replied before now because I have sold my car so can't check. But I did have to cut the corner off the lowered floor when I fitted it to my old VX race chassis but I think that was because of the suspension mount rather than a SIB which I did have as well.

I ended up cutting slots into the corner, folding it in on itself and gluing it all together with that 2 part liquid metal stuff. Welding it would have been better and I always meant to get it welded but it was fine for the 9 or so years I had it like that, including on track. As I say though the bolt was still outside the floor. I can try and find a picture but may not have one.

Michael.