Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torquing head down..

Grim Reaper

Latest head gasket torquing requirements are 20Nm + 180* + 180* or 20Nm + 180* + 135* depending on manufacturers recommendations

I understand this to be initial torque then two runs through the correct tightening sequence turning each bolt through the required angle..

Have read on an elise forum of someone doing it 20Nm + 90* + 90* + 90* + 45*.

This sounds like 4 runs through the sequence.

While I can see that this might reduce the amount of difference in areas of compression of the gasket between having bolts at differing torque (I know what I mean but can't think of a way to put it any better) is there really any benefit to doing it in smaller increments?

Would some lubricant like ARP ultra torque lube assist in smoothing the inevitable cracking when starting to turn the bolts each time or not?

Oil the threads and oil under the heads.

The technique I use is as follows..

Torque each bolt to 25nm to snug them, do this is the right order.

Slacken each bolt, then re tighten to 20nm, the snugging is complete

Turn each bolt in order by 180 degrees

Turn each bolt in order by a further 180 degrees.

No further tightening is required.

Oily

I like the idea of "snugging" the bolts.

certainly when I did mine recently I went around about 4 times with the initial torque setting and each time I could tighten a bit more. On the fourth time round I got the obvious solid click of a torqued up bolt and went round again, then did the stretching 180+90+45

I was using the N series gasket

I'm not sure that's actually a good solution. As I understand it the bolts are stretch-bolts, designed to yield, i.e. stretch permanently and irreversibly. However I do believe that the Rover system is unusual in that the actual torqueing of the bolts is designed to take them to just below the yield point and as the allow engine expands the first time it gets hot, this takes the bolts into yield. If you have actually torqued them fully and then run the engine up to temperature, they will already have stretched. Repeating the torqueing procedure will stretch them further, possibly resulting in them snapping under load. I think you will actually need to measure the bolts individually to ensure they are still within spec. I think what I would do would be to slacken the bolts in the recommended sequence but as each bolt becomes loose, lightly snug torque it back to prevent anything from moving. You could then take the bolts out one by one and check them for length, returning them back to snug torque after measuring (replacing any that have gone out of spec). From there you could repeat the tightening procedure.

Maybe Oily could advise on whether this would be the correct procedure to follow?

Reusing the bolts will not give too much of a problem.

If you are not sure about tightening, then Mark one of the end bolts radially and then see how far you have to turn it in order for it to come loose, if it is less than 1.25 turns before it goes slack then it has not been correctly tightened, if it is more than 1.25 turns then it will be OK, just re tighten that bolt and leave the others. If it is less then undo one at a time and then retighten.

Oily

Thanks Dave - that is very helpful. I was wondering how many turns it should take to undo them if they have been correctly torqued up.

Roger - another year older but clearly not another year wiser. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes when Lynn hears what you propose doing to her dog!!