Click here if you are having website access problems ×

removing alloy section of trans tunnel

Molecular--Bob

I need tunnel access on my 1990 dedion chassis for a rewire and repacement of fuel hose in preparation for going fuel injection. I thought the tunnel would have a removable top, but only has access panels front and rear held on by self tappers. Can i get enough fixings in place from these to hold the fuel pipes and loom in place, or am i going to have to drill out all the centre section rivets?

As an alternative, is there enough room to work from under the car if i get it up on the ramps?

Ian B

I tried doing a similar thing a few years ago and, after about an hour of cursing, drilled out the rivets and removed the panel in about 10 minutes. With an air riveter it took me another 20 to put it back on. Half an hour worth spending if you wish to keep your sanity *smile*

Regards,

Giles

I managed to renew my copper brake lines by just removing the tunnel cover and rea access panel. But its probably easier than a fuel pipe as its not flexible. Probably removing the rivets is the path of least resistance.

I have given in to man logic and bought an air riveter, just need to buy the correct rivets.

Any ideas what i will need?

Also, any useful jobs to do in there while i have access? Planing to treat any rust i find, but not sure what else i should look at.

Edited by - Molecular--Bob on 22 Mar 2014 10:10:24

I seem to remember they are 4mm diameter and 8 or 10mm long.

As Nigel says, Bruce will confirm what size they use. I get mine from an eBay company "abouttownbolts". Good quality, good price, and quick delivery. *smile*

Regards,

Giles