Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weeping Webbers

Crumpynut

Been getting my trusty old xflow back into shape for spring time and whilst balancing carbs have noticed that on idle on one carburettor there is petrol leaking out of the intake and on further inspection it is dripping rapidly from the idle jet on both barrels. Rear Card does not have the same problem. Adjusting the idle mixture seems to make no difference unless screwed fully in when the flow stops, as does the engine. Is this normal? If not what's the prognosis and likely fix.

When you say the idle jets are weeping, what exactly are you looking at? The idle jets are internal to the carb and only release fuel into the barrels via idle and progression holes which are in the area immediately adjacent to the butterfly; in other words there is no jet to see fuel dripping from, just (tiny) holes.

If it's actually coming from somewhere else it could be a number of things - stuck needle valve, wrong float height, knackered needle valve, fuel pressure too high + the aforementioned over winter gunging up.

My very elderly Weber 40 dcoe type 18 do this also.

Most annoying, but mine leak from the air trumpet to carb entry point, there is no movement of the intake trumpet and I've spent ages checking float levels and even recently replaced the needle valves, all to no avail.

I think it's a case of TADTS, certainly got that old fashioned motoring smell in the garage after a trip out. 🥰

Nigel.

They shouldn't leak - check the float level is correct.

There are two float distances to set up , one for Webers with brass floats and one with plastic floats.

Pretty easy to fix, sorted mine out last year.

Edited by - RobW on 10 Mar 2014 20:21:00