Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stripped a thread fitting the dry sump pan

AndrewGP

I've stripped a thread fitting the dry sump pan on to my 1800 K Series. It's the thread in the forward hole of the scavenge pipe/bracket where the M8 x 20mm bolt goes in to the block and stripped as I was torquing them up to the specified 25nm. I'm aware I can helicoil it - will this kit on ebay do the trick? Also any pifalls/tips for me to know about?

Andrew,

bu99er!!

If it is the one which is thread right through the flange, with the open back, you could you use a longer bolt and put a nut on top of the flange. Maybe use an M6 nut and bolt??

If its the one below the gearbox web this will be a blind hole so thread insert probably the only option.

Ian

Andrew,

Just thinking - I'm sure the kit had longer bolts for these two fixings as they go through the new bracket and sump pan - 20mm feels too short - perhaps the thread is only partially stripped and a longer bolt will resolve it?

Pretty sure I put longer bolts in whether in the kit or not.

Ian

Ian, again thanks, just replied top your earlier email.

Quite right on the longer bolts, my mistake they are M8 x 25mm. I'm away on business for a few days from tomorrow, but will drop the sump pan when I'm back to see which of your suggestions will work.

Andrew