Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Uprated Hub Stub Axles

AndrewGP

Quick question for the POBC, when the uprated post 2003 stub axles (from the Hub Upgrade Kit) go in to the uprights, does the shoulder of the stub axle have to be flush with the back of the upright?

My local garage pressed them in but stopped due to them not going any further, leaving the stub axle shoulder 1mm recessed from the back of the upright. In addition I'm confused as the instructions I have for the Kit don't mention it, they simply say:

Attach the steering tie rod (2) to Vertical link (1) using bolt (13) and spring washer (18) pass the bolt through the tie rod, the tie rod spacer shim (14) and into the vertical link.

Pass the tapered end of stub axle (3) through the vertical link and the tie rod then secure using plain washer (17) and nyloc nut (11).

Torque: Bolts (15) to 25lb ft (34NM)

Can anyone who's fitted the upgraded hubs shed any light?

The stub axle has a taper so it doesn't need to be pressed into the upright. The nut will pull it in just fine. Presuming that you have cycle wings the stay is sandwiched between the steering arm and the nut. When it is together the nylon of the nut must be engaging the thread. The steering arm has a washer between the arm and upright where the bolt fixes. Mine uses the older axles so the arrangement of the front side is different.

Thanks gents *thumbup* Had visions of the axle falling out when pressing on if I assembled it wrong 😬

As an aside Ian I tried to seat the bearing cups in the hubs with your oven and freezer suggestion in the archives to no avail. Have to get them pressed in next week 😔

If anyone ever suggests refreshing the front suspension is a quick and easy job they're either a liar or very, very lucky *rolleyes* 😔