Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Long term engine preservation

Nigel Riches

Well, the new (to me) engine is on the water.

The time is nigh to remove the faithful old cross flow, now my idea was to flog it off to rebalance the the coffers, as money is being thrown into the project, however SWMBO said, and I had to pause at this point........why don't you hold on to it, as it will be the correct engine for the car (1982 vintage) when you eventually sell the car", well knock me down with a feather.

So in the collected wisdom of BC, what to do to preserve this engine against deterioration if it's just dumped in a corner of the garage. I have a source of aeroshell fluid 2f oil, used to inhibit corrosion in aero engines in storage, this may be the way to go.

Any other words of wisdom gratefully recieved.

Nigel

Nigel,

I would have thought drain all fluids and allow the galleries to dry, drain sump, and if possible remove and wipe bottom of pan to clear any sludge, squirt loads of preserving fluid into cylinders and then hermetically wrap the whole lump in industrial grade cling film. I have known some people to also loosen the rocker assembly to allow the valves to become fully closed, if so a squirt of oil down each port.

Unless there is some historical significance to the car where having the original engine adds some providence and really extra value (I guess there is not, otherwise the ca would not be being converted) I would sell it.

Fresh out or even sold running before pulled from the chassis stands you the best sale price. An engine wrapped in whatever with oiled bores for x years will alwaya be more of an unknown qty. It will accordingly sell less well.

Anyway, you'll stub your toe on it a lot with it cluttering up your garage.

Peter

I,d sell, unless you have a car that is worth more"standard", in which case it might make sense to leave it standard. I stored a cosworth lump for a couple of years and filled it with oil. It ran perfectly when used. I would follow the advice of selling while its in the car to be seen running. Might add a bit coming from one of those Morgan contraptions 😬

Ed