Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec 2.0L cams

classic1952

A friend is building a Birkin in Australia, with a 2.0L Duratec. He has been recommended to fit either of the following cam set-ups, for road and sprint use, but is worried about drivability on the road. Does anyone have experience of these profiles, from Ultimate Performance, or can recommend alternatives?

1. UL39/UL40 – 12.5mm x 302 degree inlet cam, 12.0 x 294 degree exhaust cam.

2. UL46/UL47 – 13.5mm x 302 degree inlet cam, 12.7 x 294 degree exhaust cam.

Yes, if head flows enough for both options and fuelling is right it should drive fine. I have same as your option two which provides power circa 280 + I can't imagine using it on our roads here in the UK *eek* but great on track *smokin* it will be a revver though, syncro gearbox may not like it so option one maybe better, just my thoughts. Good luck

Don't over cam the engine, respect the other engine components

Decided what you are going to use it for, however mapping is the key here - I and many others have run full race cams in the K which is much peakier than a Duratec,

Dave Walker @ Emerald has mapped all my cars all have been totally driveable on the road starting hot cold etc, light years away from running a hot cam with carbs and a dizzy!

No reason why a syncro box wouldn't work - assuming the ratios are suitable for the intended purpose, certainly if you intend using it on the road it will be better mannered, if you opt for a dog box be mindful of the additional shock loads the transmission and chassis/mounts will be subjected too.