Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roger King x-flow

randybugger

just got worried by people saying they only last x amount of miles or you'll need a refresh before it goes pop.

oil pressure seems good, doesn't use any oil, have always used mobil1 15~50 every 3000 miles (not sure what to use when my next bottle runs out) and doesn't smoke from breather...

maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily

Mine was only a 140 RK x/flow (so not really a direct comparison) but I managed over 50,000 miles on mine (inc. trackdays & sprints), same principle as you Mobil 1 15/50 every 3k miles, before it went pop!

....and that was due, most likely, to overheating problems caused by a piggyback connector breaking and hence no fan at all ☹️. Up till then like yours it was a healthy engine.

Roger is often on here and may well give you further advice.....

• Area Representative

Why not contact Roger?

He is here from time to time.

I have some sympathy with Elie's point of view but OTOH I do think that prevention is better than cure.

Is your mileage 35,000 since Roger's work?

My AX block Crossflow has achieved 105,000 miles and is running well. However Rob Morley refreshed it some 10,000 miles ago.

If its an engine that gets reved hard and thrashed then my experience of XFlows in Caterhams and Formula Ford is that they need rebuilding to check for cracks and this together with a freshen up will keep everything running well and prevent failure. Often when they go bang there is no warning and its not that great if you are mid corner and accelerating etc etc (I have had that one!). A rebuild isnt too expensive and the engine will then be in good shape for many more miles - you might like to upgrade at the same time. If you are unlucky and it goes bang then you are in for a big bill. A compression test will tell you if the engine is worn out but it won't tell you about the components that could be about to break. If the engine is used on the road and is treated with respect then I am probably being pessimistic.