Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T VAG COM code help

Phil B

Hi PoB,

My daughter's 52 plate SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16v keeps setting the engine fault light. She complains that intermittently it will not accelerate from idle and misfires (goes jerky!) when moving slowly in traffic. Always seems to start okay and runs cleanly from cold.

Yesterday I plugged in an ELM327 code reader and identified these codes:

P0106, MAP circuit range/performance

P0135, O2 wiring, heater fault

P0170, Fuel trim malfunction

P1778, Linear O2 sensor open circuit

I did note on the live data mode that the O2 sensor was tripping between on and off-line at idle and up to 2000rpm no load.

Today got a panic call as daughter said car would not accelerate from walking pace. Went over to help her (15 minutes away so she had switched off), car started okay.

Let her borrow my tintop and drove her's back giving it a thorough Italian tune-up round the local bypass and it ran sweet as a nut revving happily up to red line. Got home switched off, restarted and the MIL light cleared itself.

I've looked at various SEAT/VW threads and advice seems to shift between front O2 sensor contamination/heater wiring, through MAP/MAF snesor, to EGR gummed up.

Any diagnostic advice, the car has 106,000 on the clock and is in otherwise fine fettle.

Phil B

Phil

My daughter has an Audi A2 51 plate which we have owned since new . 1.4 Petrol . Engine fault light permanently on .

I have changed the MAP sensor , camshaft sensor ( once showed this as a fault code ) and cleaned the EGR . Cured it for a while but light now back on .

Its been like this for about two years now , passes the MOT ok so i have given up !

If you manage to sort your can you post again please . I might have another go at the Audi when i am bored 😬

Quoting Phil B: 
Hi Mark,

Thanks, I've been thinking about cleaning the EGR, is it much of a job? The Haynes manual tells you how to remove and refit, but says nothing about cleaning.

Phil

Use Gunk or other engine cleaner stuff it'll be gummed up with black soot although probably nowhere near as horrible as a diesel engine one

Hello Peter,

Thanks, I've got Jizer and carb cleaner too, so sounds like I have what is needed.

Anybody else had any experience of VW,Audi,SEAT, Skoda O2 sensor issues?

I've heard that I should avoid pattern parts and go for the OEM (Bosch/NGK/NTK) item.

Phil