Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Should I worry about my water work?

glasgow

When cruising and when driving the seven "normally", the temp gauge reads 85-90 degree. With harsh acceleration and high rpm (still at the same speed of 60-70mph), I find the temp goes down to 70 degree. I thought the higher the rpm the higher the temp provided it is the same speed..... Am I missing something here?...

Ahmed

Hi,

don´t worry.

The coolant pump is driven by the engine. High engine revs = high pump revs = high flow of coolant = lower coolant temperatures.

Edited by - geko on 12 Jul 2012 20:26:41

Does it drop and stay down if you sustain the high engine load/speed eg up a big hill?

Good question... haven't done a long blat for a while so can't answer this question.... May I know what is the significance if temp stays down or goes back up please?

Also, should I consider prrt please?

A

The question is really to determine if the thermostat is responsive and regulating the coolant temperature properly.

You are making a step change to engine speed, load (heat generation), coolant flow and air flow through the cooler - all at the same time. If the high load condition is maintained the temperature should stabilise back to normal provided the radiator is of adequate performance and thermostat isn't dead.

I slightly modified the engine coolant circuit on my car but didn't go PRRT, details were submitted as an article for inclusion in LF a while back.