Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Scuttle Squeak Roadsport SV

CliffC

I have this squeaking sound that is coming from the scuttle *eek* and no matter what I do I cannot get rid of it. The squeaky clicking sound i can only be described as rubber against rubber. If i put my hand between the drivers’s door and scuttle side and hold the scuttle tightly the noise goes away. So I know it’s the scuttle movement that is causing the noise. I have loosened the scuttle on each side and retightened it along with the windscreen stanchions. I’ve cleaned between the scuttle and the side skins but to no avail. And it only happens after 10-15 minutes when I assume things have started to warm up.

Has anybody else had this squeaking noise and got rid of it?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Cliff

I recently replaced the rubber seal between the screen and the scuttle. Found loads of grit under the original which had been grinding and scratching into the scuttle !

Really simple job to - make sure it is the right way up, sit one side of the 'T' into the slot in the u/s of the screen and press the other side in with a flat blade - like a paint scraper or credit card. New seal only a few pounds from Redline *thumbup*

Edit - Cliff - have you got the captive nut stanchion retaining brackets - another job I did recently to replace my originals which were the old type. New ones hold the windscreen much better than bolts and large washers in the side skin.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 10 Jun 2012 10:39:15

Jem

I do not have any shift lights but I have tightened the screws on the top of the scuttle.

Ian - I checked the windscreen rubber first as the sound I'm getting could easily have been this but there was no grit under there after I blasted high pressure air under it. I also have the captive nut stanchions for the aero and I have tightened this up as well. So I reckon the scuttle is tight to the chassis. The only thing left is the bulkhead where the silicone sealant is as this was removed and I wonder if this is the cause. Hard sealant rubbing against sealant??

Thanks

Cliff

Ian

Will spray some WD40 and see howit goes.

Poole Quay meet up is on and I'll send out some emails to the usual suspects and may even post on blatchat. Just need some decent weather... *cool*

Thanks