Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Paint or Powder Coat?

storrc

Hi All,

Well the old girl is starting to look a bit tired, so time for a refresh. I've got the front suspension off and I'm in the process of sand blasting the wishbones and springs.

I was wondering if I should get it all re-powder coated or should I paint them with 2 pack acrylic? I'm thinking powder coat would probably be more durable but was wondering what other peoples experiences were?

Thanks in advance

Christian

I have done a bit of both. Some people say powder coating is more durable and is what I have done to the rear suspension. Its durable other than when it is chipped and it then flakes off as the rust spreads underneath. My front suspension is spray painted to a high gloss and I prefer the look. I thought it might chip quickly but it has lasted very well. The earlier Caterham chassis were spray painted and they seem to last well - mine is 25 years old and looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I ended up going for powder coat in the end. Found a local company that powder coated my entire front suspension for 10 quid and it's a cracking job too. At that price it seemed rude not to :)

As per Dave's advise I will put insulation tape on the leading edges.

Cheers

Christian