Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Leak

FatVik

Disclaimer: Do not expect technical terms, accurate description or logical thinking on the post below *smile*

I noticed a few drops oil at the bottom of the car, there are generally always drops on the two bolts here and also on the four bolts that hold the blue plate under the engine itself - sorry no pictures of this.

All three braided hoses here (from engine to T-pipe, from tower to T-pipe and from T-pipe to catch tank) are generally covered in oil. So if you hold the hoses tight, you will see oil on your hands. Thee hoses here.

Additionally, on the tower itself there are two lips of oil. Interestingly these are only at the front i.e. the part of the tower that faces the front of the car. here and here

What I suspected

I suspected the hoses but both MOC2CV and SM25T convinced me that this would not be the case.

I then suspected the hose clips (here) (these were the ones that were on all three hoses originally)

I also suspected that the nuts holding the cap to the oil tower were not tight enough.

What I have done so far

I swapped all three hoses from 9mm to 8mm and changed the clips from these ones to the jubilee ones here. The 9mm hoses took no effort to remove or fix in place to the little pipe out of the oil tower nor to the T-clip. The 8mm took a small amount of effort to put in.

I also checked that there was no damage or problem with the cap on the tower here

Testing

Once the works were done, I cleaned all the areas and unfortunately not having enough time for a blat, I started the car up, warmed it and blipped it to around 6k a few times.

Sadly, there was a very small oil lip forming on the tower and there was a little bit of oil seeping out from here.

Next steps

Well, POBC what should they be?

My brother suggested

- getting a "washer" put between the tower and the cap? Can I buy such a thing? Would it help?

- using two jubilee clips here instead of one here

Shall I try and reduce the 8mm hoses to 7mm? perhaps 7.5mm?

Thanks

FatVik

Edited by - FatVik on 26 May 2012 12:07:30

Edited by - FatVik on 26 May 2012 12:08:36

Edited by - FatVik on 26 May 2012 12:09:22