Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Varley Red Top - Yes or No

Geoff Brown

• Area Representative

As part of my "wringing of hands" trying to spec my R400 kit I have come to the last bit.

Is it worth ditching the Banner & holder for a Varley Red Top 15 & bracket? For about an extra £6 or so I save 3Kgs!!

Any one out there with long term experience of the Red Top?

Aside from the weight saving and good cold cranking are they (a) OK for day to day use on what will be 60 - 70% of the time a road car. (b) Sustain the immobiliser for short static periods (ie 2 weeks) © OK to dribble charge for extended periods.

Thanks for all the advice on RB TBs...and yes I am going for them.

My Red Top 25 has been on the car for years now and has proved to be a good upgrade for road use. Cold starting is much better than previous standard batteries and it holds its charge very well. I use a master switch so can't comment on imobilisers etc. Main useage is day time blatting. Next step would be lithium which is again much lighter and smaller but not sure on reliability etc.

• Support Team

I've been using a Red Top 15 for about 8 years now.

I'm currently on my 3rd but that is due to killing one at a sprint when my alternator packed up and I had to charge it using jump leads from my tow car. The other 2 lasted several years and in fact it was the origninal 8 year old one that I killed above.

I have a cut-off switch as an immobiliser will drain them fairly quickly.