Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust heat - removal

Bob L

Just fitted an CC 4 -1 exhaust system to my K-Series and noticed a marked increase in radiated heat. I have a sort of std 10mm air gap around the pipes as it exits the skin. I don’t want to ‘lag the pipes’ but fitted a DIY heat shield to the starter and may do similar to the alternator although no1 primary avoids this quite well. Just wondering if anyone has fitted an additional air vent to the side skin of their cars for some added ventilation. I’ve never seen anyone do this and preferably, I don’t want a power bulge, the more subtle the better. What is the wisdom of BC.

Has anyone bothered?

What has been used?

Did it work?

I fitted heat reflective mat to the rear of the alternator, over the starter motor & around the cables nearby. I am aware that some folks have wrapped the primaries but have not bothered with this yet -will wait to see exactly how much heat build up I get in the summer. Had not considered making a vent in the side panel, interesting thought but don't particulalry want any more holes in the skin.

Thanks, there has been mountains scribed on the merits or lack of in lagging the primaries. My personal view after reading as much as possible is a not to pursue this course of action. I would prefer not to add an extra vent but considering it as:

1) The heat around the alternator / starter / battery and ECU, especially when stationary, can’t be doing any of it much good ☹️

2) I’m new to the Dremel (other makes available *smile*) and surprised how easy it was to cut the dreaded original hole. This seemed the simplest part of the whole installation. Even for a numpty like me.

I appreciate we all have more than our reasonable share of bonnet louvers but every little helps?