Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T BMW halo side lights - where from?

Griff

The N/S halo light bulbs failed - simple enough job I thought. I removed the little module which is a plastic housing, reflector and little 10W/12V halogen bulb that part removes like a bayonet fitting but doesn't actually come out (seems like it's sealed in from the back as there are no slots for the bayonet pins to pass throught the reflector).

A quick Google to find the part proved fruitless - everyone selling fancy upgradfes to make the yellowish halogen whiter. They are stupid money and I've no idea if they will fail an MoT give the strict new rules on lighting. I'm not this vain either, so can anyone tell me if this "module" is a BMW only part or something I could expect my local motorfactor to have?

Cheers,

Mike

Ebay is your friend, there are various Angel Eye upgrades or OE replacements with various colour temperatures from 2700 (stock) up to 6000 (white /blue tint) I have just changed mine for some whiter bulb packs so I have two standard E39 units here.

Try www.hids4u.co.uk , www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk , www.autobulbs.co.uk all have angel eye offerings

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 2 Apr 2012 20:58:42

Thanks guys. I've checked the suggested sites but they seem to offer the full units or non-standard replacement bulbs, many of which would fail an MoT. All I'm really after is where to get the bulb in its housing, or better still just the bulb.

So I spent 2 mins this morning opening the sealed housing and found inside a very boring BA9S halogen bulb 12V x 10W, exactly like this one. I've since discovered these are used on bikes, for studio lighting and even by the model train fraternity. Hopefully, I'll find one locally now.