Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wobbly spare wheel carrier

glasgow

Yesterday I noticed the spare wheel carrier is loose and the spare wheel is held in place only by the centre bracket. I took the spare wheel off and on inspecting the carrier it looks like the weld between its 2 arms and the transverse arm in the car body gave way:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6221/7023983055_1a2bf66dd3_m.jpg

and

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/7023981053_1f5eda7b4a_m.jpg

These two images are taken from underneath the car....

Any advice please...? I would like to keep the spare wheel holder for touring. Had a look at the archive, most people are talking about the "removable" option by cutting the two tubes 2-3 inches... This is not applicable to me as mine needs welding...

--- Would the tank need to be removed before welding?

--- Would I need new tubes or the old ones will still be working?

--- How much damage would weld do to the paint - will I end up painting the rear skin of the car? ☹️

--- What if I decided just cut the carrier off the car at the broken weld area and forget about spare wheel, what would I do with hole left in the transverse tube - filler and paint?

--- Any Idea why the weld was broken? (I wouldn't put Vandalism as a reason). Anyone had similar experience, please?

--- Would chemical welding/epoxy work here or it will be exposed to too much force?

--- As always all suggestions welcomed

Thank you

Ahmed

Edited by - glasgow on 28 Mar 2012 16:32:31

if you're going to get it welded you'll have to remove the tank. I can't see any welder going near it otherwise. If its like the rest of the car the joint will be brazed rather than welded for which you need a gas torch, not MIG or TIG.

If you took it to Arch (they're a bit too far away from you to be a viable option) they would almost certainly remove the pop rivets securing the skin along that tube and very gently peel it back and then put it back and re rivet afterwards. If done carefully you shouldn't damage the paint although you'll need to repaint the tube to stop it rusting.

Paul

Mine snapped off about 10 years ago (a bit too much enthusiasm on our wibbly wobbly Kent roads I think). I preferred the look without it so bought a can of Tyre Weld and a stick on rear numberplate. The numberplate light bolts in where the spare wheel bolt was and I haven't looked back since *thumbup*