Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New build cracked A frame

Rj52car

Hello POBC,

Our 7 has just gone thru' it's post build inspection with a small list of stuff to put right. One of the items is "fit new A frame - cracked due to incorrect A frame spacing".

Before I fitted it I saw a post about someone else having the same problem despite carefully following the instructions ... so I very carefully followed the instructions.

Now I can't find that post, does anyone remember this ?

Regards, Philip

I did the same a few months ago.

Basically I didn't use enough spacing washers between the chassis and the a-frame (I think it needs 3 on either side) and when torquing the bolts up this caused the frame to crack as it is compressed more than it should be. I was told it was quite a common mistake to make and that will be £50 for a new a-frame thank you very much 😔

You're right, I just checked my manual and it mentions adding spacer washers only if the A frame isn't centred. I was really surprised, I could have sworn it said to fill out the sapce with washers. I suppose I must have just done that without reading it.

They really should get around to completely re-writing the manual.

The cynic in me suspects that they don't, because they make so much money correcting things at the post build check.

Duncan

Quoting DJ.: 
You're right, I just checked my manual and it mentions adding spacer washers only if the A frame isn't centred. I was really surprised, I could have sworn it said to fill out the sapce with washers. I suppose I must have just done that without reading it.

They really should get around to completely re-writing the manual.

The cynic in me suspects that they don't, because they make so much money correcting things at the post build check.

Duncan

I don't think it is as bad as that 😬 the manual had a re-write at the end of last year, but think there are probably still a number of areas where things aren't exactly clear. It is a big job, but one worth doing properly I think *thumbup*

RJ52car, in a way you are right, on the other hand if you mount something so that it becomes under stress u can anticipate that it will not last for a long time.

It's a learnig curve, and blat chat is always there to help,imagine you build any modern tin top you will encounter much more problems.