Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox to bellhousing

Garry7

• Leadership Team

I'm trying to fit my gearbox (5 Speed) to the bellhousing (Duratec 175).

The caphead bolts I think are meant to attach it (loose in a bag marked Gearbox) have threads that correctly fitted the bellhousing when I checked but seem to have heads that do not allow them to go through the gearbox fitting square, and therefore wont do up.

Before I call Sean is there anything I have missed?

The Duratec has no 36G006A pack (which would have the bolts correctly referenced I guess). The gearbox holes also appear threaded?

Am hoping to get the engine installed next weekend.

Thanks

Garry

Hi Garry,

I think your 175 Duratec plus 5-speed is in fact the same set-up as my R400D plus 6-speed. My kit didn't include fastener pack 36G006A either. Instead, I had 4 M10x35 fully-threaded bolts. These go in to the bellhousing from the rear (I used plain washers plus Loctite). You can ignore the threads in the gearbox flange as they're not used here (they puzzled me at the time too). IIRC, I had to use a spring balance to torque up the bolts as I couldn't get a torque wrench in there.

When you come to fit the gearbox+bellhousing to the engine, you'll probably find that the Assembly Guide doesn't match (unless it's been updated). In my case, the "one further bolt" comment in Para 5.8 didn't apply. Instead, I had three extra bolts passing forward into the engine.

JV

• Leadership Team

Thanks John, I do have the 35mm M10 fully threaded. Perhaps its the spring washers that are forcing the bolts out of line. Will give it a dry run with plain washers and see how it goes.

Cheers

Garry

• Leadership Team

Problem solved. I need 70 mm cap head bolts (they fit from inside the bellhousing) in place of the 35mm ones I was supplied (these are for the 6 speed box JV).

Just waiting on Mr Postie now *wink*

• Leadership Team

Not yet solved!! Turns out the 70mm bolts didnt fit the threads in my bellhousing.

Solution (from CC) drill out with 1/2 inch drill - should have been done at the factory!!

Hopefully then it will fit. *mad* *mad* *mad*

• Leadership Team

Always had my eye on a Pillar drill so bought one (having checked I could fit the half inch bit Sean sent me in the chuck).

After a bit of headscratching working out how to hold such a big piece still it went fine.

Consequently engine went in today - phew. Motivation has returned *smile*

• Leadership Team
Pretty much I think. Mine was supplied attched to the engine so when I dismantled it I noted the locations of the various bolts - so reassembly was a reversal of dismantling. Chose not to remove starter motor for install, just the alternator and associated bracketry, went in fine.

just the alternator
Ah yes. When I built my S3 (April 2008), the Guide didn't mention the need to remove this. It was only after several fruitless attempts trying to ease the engine in at every conceivable angle that I removed it (pic here). I see the Guide's been updated now, possibly as a result of my feedback! Like you, though, I didn't need to remove the starter motor.

JV