Click here if you are having website access problems ×

starter motor and threaded rod

TomGaval

Doing a year end inspection, I notice that my starter motor appears to be somewhat loose. I remember when i built the car that there is a threaded rod and a couple of nuts that hold it one at the side closest to the block.

Left hand Drive Rover K series with dry sump.

Is it possible to tighten the two nuts on the threaded bar without removing the exhaust pipes? I remember that the starter went on before the exhaust and that it was fairly tight in there before the exhaust was installed?

I have the car up on a lift, so it is possible for me to work from underneath, but I'm just wondering if its better to take the exhaust off to access it better.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

Hi Tom

I was able to tension the alternator belt on my friends LHD k series from above. I don't remember any great difficulty although it was tight. Or is my memory failing me ? .....

😬

Ahhhh it's the starter *redface*

Edited by - ECR on 22 Nov 2011 14:33:19

Dunno about LHD, but I do remember buying a set of the Halfords stubby spanners (half-length, basically) to allow enough throw on the spanner when working on the starter nuts/bolts with the exhaust in place...

Or you could cut down some cheap spanners instead. ISTR that it was/is the 17mm you need for the starter on a k-series...

The starter is wrapped with some heat shield material so I can't currently see the threaded rod and nuts. The steering shaft also comes into play on the LHD car, so it is a little tighter than usual in there.

I'll cut the shielding away and see what it looks like. Thanks guys.

Tom

Guys

Sssssssh. Don't say anything to Tom but we're missing a trick here. He'll need someone to hold the starter motor, someone to do the spannering and someone to hold the torch. If we can get him to send 3 airline tickets...that's the Xmas shopping trip to the States sorted *wink*

Peter