Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intercom headsets?

grumpy the 7th

Only have the headset type. Bloody painful over long periods with sunglasses (although that might be mitigated by a more pliant frame). My solution is to get a pair or goggles instead, but have yet to identify the perfect type.

On the plus side, the headsets do keep your ears cosy in winter. No experience of the other type, but the moulded earplugs that I bought through the L7OC discount also have a version that has comms fitted (but these are V expensive), and I find my earplugs very comfy.

I have the 'shortie' in ear phones with mike. They come with different size ends to put on the ear piece so they don't fall out plus different ear buds including half size foam plugs. I have adapted full size foam earplugs just for additional ear protection. They don't fall out and work perfectly

Another *thumbup* for the Shortie's from Starcom. Although they come with multiple inserts I had some spare inserts from my Shure earphones which fit very well (I think you can buy these kits from Shure separately). Have now used them on several long distance stints and find that they give a good level of noise isolation as well, maintain their position (this was mine main concern before buying) and are also comfortable. Only negative is that they're a bit of a fiddle to fit but I figure that as I only use them for longer journeys I don't mind spending a few more moments getting ready.

Just as an add on, I bought some Peltor Optime 3s from Arco originally planning to put the speakers and mike on to them, but having tried the Shortie ear set I now mainly use that on it's own. However, when we went to France this summer I put the Peltors over the top of the in ear set when we went on the Autoroute. Definitely no wind noise, sound levels from mike wound right down, low levels on ipod and comfortable too. On N and D roads I just used Shortie set. SWMBO just used Shortie all the time.

It's difficult to describe exactly what the Starcom Shortie look like, but they have a shaped bit which fits inside the folds of your ear, this together with the ear buds help to hold everything in place. Once you have established the best fit through using the extra bits they send with the thing, you don't have to adjust it any more. The different ear buds are either plastic or foam. Again once you have selected which is best for you, that's it. No more fiddling. As I said, difficult to describe, perhaps others may add whatever I've missed out.

Brian

Edited by - Gnockoff on 9 Nov 2011 19:14:09

Quoting roger heeley: 

Do Sensorcom minicom fit the Starcom1 Advanced unit or would I need the dedicated starcom earplugs

Yes, just tell Sensorcom which starcom you have and they fit the appropriate plugs.

They are very similar *wink* IYSWIM *wink*

BTW ask for Richard at Sensorcom and tell him you're a club member *thumbup*