Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox oil fill question / speedo drive seal leak

BenF

I finally got around to checking my gearbox oil level today - on the basis that I'd seen a small spot of oil on the garage floor which appeared to come from the back of the gearbox.

Once on axle stands, I found that the leak seems to come from the speedo drive. From looking at past posts, TADTS - so I'm not planning on changing the seal at the moment.

The knurled ring on the drive was loose, so I did it up with my fingers. Even then, the speedo drive unit is quite loose - it can be waggled a bit from side to side. Is this normal?

I then undid the filler plug (RHS of 6-speed gearbox, seems to say "LEVL" next to it - correct?) and about 100ml of oil gushed out - so I am guessing it was overfilled in the past and probably has not lost much from the drive seal leak. It's only losing a minute amount when sitting in the garage (a spot half the size of a little fingernail appears after a blat).

Just for a sanity check - it's not one of those leaks which gets worse when you are actually driving?

Edited by - BenF on 30 Jul 2011 16:26:26

Yep as Bio/John says *thumbup*

I "fixed" the speedo seal nearly a year ago and still lose that much oil.

I keep checking the level and its still coming out. I think this is because it was topped up with only one end raised

Or you could try (as was suggested to me) rubbing its nose in it 😬