Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec arp bolts for blacktop

Molecular--Bob

I think i may have overstreached mine 🙆🏻. I did a combination of what Raceline said in their literature, and what i have done in the past, and this doesn't agree with the ARP installation guide. ARP say 25ft/lb 3 times, Raceline say 25ft/lb stage 1 and then 32 ft/lb stage 2. I have gone with the Raceline, BUT did the 32 ft/lb 3 times, which is the usual ARP protocol.

Lesson learned. Never do things when tired and full of cold cure drugs. Raceline aren't picking up, and i'm thinking i should just buy more bolts and do them the ARP way. What are the collective thoughts about this?

They were undone and re-torqued to 32ft/lb. ARP recommend that when using their assembly lube you torque to the given value 3 times, the true clamping force increasing each time, with the 3rd tightening being the correct set for the bolt.

Have done this on other engines and am happy with this idea, its just that 32ft/lb is ~30% over torque for this bolt.

Just interested why Raceline and ARP differ in their recommendation.

Quoting Molecular--Bob: 
Hi Guy

When you did yours, did you do the 25ft/lb then 32ft/lb or did you do the 25 and then 32ft/lb 3 times?

Bob

I did them 25 ft/lb and then 32ft/lb 3 times, although Raceline say stage 1 = 25ft/lbs then stage 2 = 32ft/lbs, Pete said it would "do no harm" to do them to 32ft/lb a couple more times. I used the ARP grease as well.

Guy.

Thanks Guy

Feel a lot happier now that you have said that. It also means i can get on and put the engine in the hole, rather than waiting for the new bolts to turn up.

Have to say that i got around 10 degrees more turn on the wrench between 1st and 3rd tightening, so they have gone in tighter.

Cheers

Ian B.