Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reverse and fog lamp mounting brackets

Poita

I've a '96 K-series, from which one of the previous owners has decided to remove and bin the fog and reverse lamps (to clean up the looks of the rear panel). It appears he's borrowed a fog lamp from somewhere to get through each MOT. I'm now coming up on my first MOT as the owner, and I'm trying to figure out what best to do.

I'd like to put both lamps back on permanently. I've got new lamps for CC, but my cars one of the ones had the lamps mounted using a bracket from one of the frame tubes below the back panel and unfortunately, CC no longer have or can get the brackets.

I'd rather not drill into the rear panel right now, so: anybody got a set of the brackets they want rid of for a fair price? Or, are there any other options - other brackets that fit, other shops that manufacture them?

Any suggestions that don't involve mounting direct to the panel much appreciated. *tongue*

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete,

Are you saying that you already have some sort of cylindrical bracket welded to the chassis and that it is the bracket from this to the light that you need?

If that is the case then you might want to consider buying something this (they aslo do a similar reversing light) These lights already come with a mounting bracket.

So presumably you're looking for something like this (you'll need to scroll down to the bottom.....

Hi Chris *wavey*,

I haven't actually seen with my own eyes the way the bracketed lights mount on. At this point I hope my understanding is correct. But yes, on my car there's a piece of cylindrical tube welded horizontally onto the lower rear frame tube. One on each side. I presume that's where the lights are supposed to mount.

Ah okay, that SVC lamp looks just the trick. The SVC pic you sent looks like it mounts with a bolt that runs fore-aft. Based on the pics of your car, it looks like you've ditched that bracket and run a bolt through the horizontal mount in the lamp, and through the horizontal mount on the car. Am I seeing that right?

If that's the case, then thanks, what you've pointed out is bang-on. *thumbup*

Pete.

Pete,

You're spot on. I dispensed with the brackets on the lights as the rear casing has an almost identical barrel-type fixing as you say. You'll just need something like a 90mm M4 (or whatever size it is that fits through both cylinders) and nyloc to fit direct to the chassis.

One point to be aware of is that this places the fog light directly under the filler cap and as I found out 2 years ago that if you overfill (not my fault as pump didn't cut out) and cover the red lens in petrol it dissovles plastic over time around the lens screws and the lens fall out ☹️

Would it not be straight forward to make a couple of brackets from mild steel or ali, give them a good spray coat of Hammerite and either angle them up so that the Fog and Reversing lamps are almost in the standard position or point them down so that the lamps sit just under the back of the body?

Lee - good point! I shoulda thought of that.

Doug - you're right, it would be. And that's what I probably should do, but at the moment I have very little in the way of tools or workshop space. I'm early in my 7-career, so I'm still at the stage of paying for the convenience of something off the shelf, rather than doing it myself. 😬 But eventually I hope to do more of this sort of work myself.

Sorted! SVC lamps ordered and on their way.

Thanks for all your advice guys. Ian, thanks for the offer, but I really need both, and this will sort me out while I decide what I want to do long term.

Thanks again fellas.

Pete.