Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty wheel swapping question

AndrewGP

I have 13" anthracite alloys on my car, 6" on the front with 175 CR500s and 8" on the back with 205 CR500s. Both fronts and backs are quite worn and the DHD highlighted a few grip issues, so I'll be ordering a full set of CR500s today.

However what I'd like to do is keep the old 175 tyres and use them as rears for trackdays. I already have one spare 6x13" alloy so would just need to acquire another and fit the old 175 tyres to them.

But would the 6" wheels go on the back ok in place of the 8" ones? I'm pretty sure they would but wanted to check 😬 Also does anyone else just change the rears for trackdays or do you have a full set of trackday wheels?

Many thanks and apologies if this has been done before!

• Support Team
Yes the 6 x 13" wheel will fit on the back. If you have a set of track day wheels and tyres then you will want all 4. It's the fronts that wear the worst (and usually the front left as most circuits are clockwise) unless you spend the whole day sideways *smokin*.

Rears wear more quickly...unless you're not giving it enough beans!

If you think you had grip troubles with 205s on rear, just wait until you put the 175s on the back......you'll be going round in circles....they are too narrow for the back.

For CR500s Stick to 205s on back, 175s on front...much safer.

Duncan

Roger's car is a track-only supergraduate race car and thus receives plentiful beans every time it is used *wink*

However I do agree that 175 all round may not work so well- not because of grip levels, but because you'll lose 16mm or rake and the car will not behave properly without significant tweaking to set the car up to work on 175's all 'round.

Thanks for all the replies *thumbup* I hadn't thought about suspension set up on the narrower rears though 😔

I suppose this leaves me with two options. Either track the car on the new road tyres (all four ordered today!) and replace as necessary or buy a full set of track day wheels and tyres.

I think with the amount of track days I would get to do annually, ie about 3 tops, the former would be the best option 😬