Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow exhaust keeps grounding out - options?

McBreadhead

My 1996 4 into 1 xflow keeps grounding its side exit exhaust as it has always done since new. It is a standard 5" Caterham unit that needs replacing anyway though probably with a larger can to satisfy noise regs at track days.

However I am advised that certain 4 into 1 primaries were made with the exit pointing slightly 'downwards' rather than horizontally meaning the subsequent silencer will hang low. There seems to be a trick of making a partial cut in the 4 - 1 exit pipe, bending the tube upwards, then welding closed. Has anyone tried this successfully?

Alternatively I am looking at having to replace the primaries and silencer together possibly requiring another RR set up which is ££££s I really want to avoid.

Have other xflow owners managed to overcome this? Thanks in advance McB

I have a similar problem, and rather than muck about trying to realign the system, I opted to attach a skid plate to the end of the box. I attached it with heavy duty Jubilee style clips. As I have the heat shield on the box there is no cosmetic downside.

This, also, was quite a problem for me. I took the collector to Powerspeed in Ashford and they put a kink in the collector which raised the height of the silencer at the front.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/12130/2384940050104747924S425x425Q85.jpg

You have the '96 suspension update and springs..done for comfort "to make the se7en more accessible" as CC said at the time.

Basically you need to change the suspension back to pre-96 which is how a se7en should be ie stronger front ARB, add a rear ARB and change springs to 300 front and 200 rear.

Been there, got the T-shirt etc with my '96 VX-you will be amazed at the handling improvement...and you'll never ground the exhaust again.

Paul

*arrowup* Paul I take it that this stiffens the set up quite a bit then? Problem is we tour a lot and really want to avoid a stiff set up.

The Powerspeed mod sounds like a possible way to go then and may also resolve the noise issue for track days too