Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA Roll Bar

OliW

Hi folks,

I'm a relatively new 7 owner and am new to the club and forum too. I'm enjoying both the blatting and the chit chat on here very much, so I know I've made the right decision after years of wanting a 7.

I was just wondering about FIA roll bars for my Superlight 150 (58 plate). Does anyone know whether I should go for this one?

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=2728

Or this one?

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=3502

And what is the difference? Sorry I don't yet know how to do linkies!

Oheers,

Oli

First one is for Arch-built chassis, second is for metric chassis.

I think a 58-plate will be a metric chassis. There are a few ways to tell, but probably safest to talk to Caterham and give them your VIN number which will confirm *thumbup*

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 13 May 2011 14:27:18

Oli, how tall are you? You need to get one that will be taller than your head. Can recommend going to caged direct if you want something a bit more bespoke (I have trouble with the slope on standard bars, making the X too close to my head), very helpful and quick turn around *thumbup*

I'm only 5'10" and with lowered floors I think I'd be ok with the standard height bar. Thanks.

Is there anything else I ought to consider with regard to fitting? I understand that you have to undo the rear suspesion for an extra fitting point. I assume this is fairly easy for a reasonably mechanically minded person, although assumption is the mother of all...

What bar do you have at the moment? If the standard one (no X) then there are no mounting points underneath - the old one will lift off (with persuasion) when you've undone the four fixings at the end of each leg.

I've got a little how to on my website: http://www.myothercarsa2cv.co.uk/howto/fiabar.htm

The new bar will use the same four fixings. It will also have two fixing points underneath, to gain access to these you will need to remove the rear shocks. I recommend you fit the bar as per the old one to start with, then, when you have the time and inclination, fit the underside mountings.

When fitting the underside ones, remove the rear shock by undoing the bottom bolt first, then the upper caphead (you may need to move the seat forward or remove to get to this). Wiggle it free. Loosen the other roll bar fixings so the bar can wiggle. The fixings for the metric bar are short capheads - mine were a struggle to get in, but they will go, I promise! Torque these up, then the other four.

Replace the shocks, and away you go!

Brilliant, thanks for that mate. Really useful info! I've had a look at your site as well. I have got the non-X standard bar at the moment, so I'll definitely change it in due course. Caterham appear to be out of the FIA boot cover though, so not just yet.

Cheers,

Oli