Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nitrons - How to remove springs?

MikeE

As Ive removed the wishbones, wing stays and arb to get them re-powder coated I thought I'd get the springs sorted too. How how do you remove the springs? The adjustable platform looks like it can be remove by unscrewing it all the way down but the base of the damper is a larger diameter than the threaded bit....any ideas?

Also is it wise to power coat the springs or will it just flake off?

Thanks!

Duratec R538 Build and Modification Pictures

here

Are they the NTR type? If so, wind the spring so it is not under compression and the top retaining collar (opposite end to blue damping gear) should fall down towards the spring, thus revealing a spring type circlip that locates in the damper, this is easily removed. Then it's hey presto *thumbup*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Ian not sure what the NTR type is? They're one way adjustable. I wound the platform allthe way down, pulled the spring down, then the rubber bump stop down the damper rod and the gold retaining collar (which is just below the blue damper adjuster) is loose but won't slip over the internal collar. At the top of the damper rod, where it joins the top colar/adjuster/mount, there's a nut but I didnt want to undo it without knowing the consequences *confused*

here

Oh yes there is a spring circlip *wink*

If they are the one way type, they are NTR. Like these:

http://www.nitron.co.uk/nitron09/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4_13&products_id=68&zenid=2896c7df86c6cbacec57e5c158b48173

The spring/circlip retains the fixed gold collar in position on the damper. Sorry, earlier mistake it is at the damping adjuster end. You need to slide the gold collar towards the spring collar adjuster end and your see the steel clip *thumbup*

Do not undo the nut above the blue damping adjuster?

Edited by - Pendennis on 21 Sep 2010 08:00:11

Edited by - Pendennis on 21 Sep 2010 08:01:36

Ok taken another look and there is indeed a spring clip under the top collar, so removed it and slid collar and spring off *wink*

I'm amazed how light the damper is without the spring *thumbup*

Now just to ask the question again, after 5,000 miles and 5 years should I get the dampers checked over, does seem like a lot of use *confused*

Once I get it all back together I'm really hoping to improve the handling, it seems to have got progressively more understeery over the years *thumbdown*

So I have one way adjustable dampers, 275 & 170 springs, freestyle adjustable front ARB, Caterham rear ARB and run on ACB 10s so why's the balance so crap *mad*

here

Mike, send the dampers (all 4) back to Nitron, get them valved to suite your car, tell them the gross weight. Their dampers have improved in recent times due to some positive R & D. Chances are, they will not be optimum for your car. Neither was mine and they were specific to me. Now, after being softened a bit on the rear they are a proper damper *thumbup*

After you fit the powerflex bushes, you will not have understeer.

My Superlight has a Duratec, I have only known it with the D engine, though it came with a K engine. However, it has always oversteered. I race the car on Kumho's, but that is only recently as it was set up for ACB10's for the first 1/3rd of this years racing calendar. It was a horrible oversteery handful. Now it is wonderful. It has same dampers as you, 400lb on front with the stiffest ARB CC make. It did have the Freestyle adj ARB but I don't think it was stiff enough for the Powerflex bushes *wink*

It has 200lb on the rear with NO rear ARB. The car is flat (no rake). 6.5" tyres on front, 9.5" on rear.

Now, it really is a quick car, it needs to go back on slicks.

I started with 275/170 springs, they clearly were riducously too soft, as the car rolled around like a london bus.

My advise to you, if your definetly fitting these bushes, is not to go for an as agressive setup as mine and utilise what you have. Keep the 170lb for the rear, put new 350lb on front, try the Freestyle ARB as stiff as it can go, lower the car as low as you can and run NO rake. *wink* *thumbup*