Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A-frame bush replacement

dan mackman

Question 1

I have recently had the A - frame bush replaced on my live axel 1600 vx - approx 2 months ago. The car is only driven on the road and has probably only done 300/400 miles since the service and the bush seems to have 'gone' again. the rubber seems to have gone to an oily mush but there seems to be no oil leaks around that area. Any ideas why this could have happened so quickly?

Question 2

Being a non-mechanic, is there anything i need to do or be aware of or indeed need any special tools to change the bush when it arrives tomorrow?

your knowledge and experience greatly appreciated.

Honda Imola Gold with cycle wings

1600 Vauxhall currently for sale! 07899 668828 see my seven here: my seven

Dan

In my experience the bushes on a live axle a-frame take a real pounding, much more so than on a de-dion car, because the whole axle is articulated. The standard Caterham rubber bushes don't last very long in oily conditions, so I tried Powerflex polyurethane ones. They were a bit better in putting up with the oil, but one set lasted only one track session *thumbdown*.

In the end, the only proper way to solve the problem is to fit a rose jointed or spherical bearing in place of the rubber bush. Caterham can supply a kit of bearing and suitably modified a-frame. I think the cost was about £100, but well worth it.

Hubcap

Dan,

Changing the bush should only take you 10 mins or so. No special tools required but some larger grips will make it easier to compress the bushes as you refit. Jack car up, put on axles stands, undo bolt, lever the bush out of the diff mounting and pull old bushes out. When you fit the new bushes compress with the grips and refit to mount. Tap the bolt back through, retighten and your done.

MikeW

The reason it's done that is in your question I think. The bush shouldn't be oily at all. You probably have a diff leak which drops onto your rubbers and knackers them very quickly. Sort the diff / engine breather oil leak and your rubbers should last longer.

s any girl will tell you. oily rubbers are not desirable. *cool*

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

When I first got my seven, I got through bushes every 1000 miles (I got fairly quick at changing them). However, after the car was returned to Arch for straightening, I find that the bushes hardly wear. They are replaced annually just because I have to take them out to check them and it seems a waste of time to put the old ones back!

So it might be worth checking that the chassis is perfectly straight and that the thrust angle is minimal (most 4 wheel alignment places can check this) and the thrust angle can be adjusted slightly by the packing washers at the front of the A-frame. The build manual says adjust so that the clearance between the rear brakes and chassis is the same both sides within 3mm, but this tolerance may be too great (mine are within 0.5mm currently).

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Two bushes duely arrived as promised from Catherham - £5.40 inc postage, axel stands purchased from Halfords at £9.99, 10 minutes personal labour time =

Job done!

Total Cost £15.39

Thank you all for your help and advice. This is my first attempt at doing any work on my seven as i have spanner-o-phobia and have always doubted my ability. I guess i will start doing things myself a bit more from now on!

*thumbup* *wink* *thumbup*

Honda Imola Gold with cycle wings

1600 Vauxhall currently for sale! 07899 668828 see my seven here: my seven

I think there must be something in what Graham says. Failure after a few hundred miles sounds like something is wrong.

I've made sure my A frame was centralised in the chassis, and replace my bushes as annual maintenance job, typically after 5k - 7k miles. Even though they've been oil contaminated sometimes, I've never had a problem with bush failure, and the bushes have never been close to wearing away.

Dan,

I had the same problem as you and have the same car.

Bushes won't have worn for that kind of mileage. I reckon your problem is the oil breather on the diff. The old type leak oil onto the bushes. Get it changed for a the new type at Caterham Midlands.

You say you are "non-mechanic". So am I, but if you need a hand to replace the bushes send me an e-mail. I see, like me, you are based near Lichfield.

*mad* Wish I had thought up KevSull's sig. ☹️