Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 in one exhaust

Ted_7

Re: Lambda sensor

I did some work a little while back with a Rover K series engine in an engine test cell running a standard ECU with no Lambda sensor. The ECU compensated for the lack of signal by using a standard 'fall back' value around 1.1 i.e. slightly rich. The Lamda value being the correct air fuel ratio divided by the actual air fuel ratio.

Can't comment on the Emerald ECU but the standard ECU seemed to cope very well without the Lambda signal and power and torque seemed relatively unaffected. This doesn't necessarily mean all will be well on the road as road conditions vary far more than those in an engine test cell. It does suggest that the engine itself won't be harmed - it just may not run quite so smoothly under certain conditions. Hope that's helpful.

JAG *cool*

Placing the Lambda sensor in one branch of the primaries is a less than ideal installation. It is far better to position the sensor at the collector where the exhaust gases from all 4 cylinders can be measured. The trade off is that the sensor requires hot exhaust gases in order to work efficiently IIRC around 600C so this necessitates its positioning as close to the engine as is possible. I would position it at the collector and remove it following mapping. The car will be static hopefully during mapping and as such the exhaust primaries will not have the cooling influence of passing air, gas tempertatures should therefore be maintained.

Placing the Lambda sensor in one branch of the primaries is a less than ideal installation. It is far better to position the sensor at the collector where the exhaust gases from all 4 cylinders can be measured. The trade off is that the sensor requires hot exhaust gases in order to work efficiently IIRC around 600C so this necessitates its positioning as close to the engine as is possible. I would position it at the collector and remove it following mapping. The car will be static hopefully during mapping and as such the exhaust primaries will not have the cooling influence of passing air, gas tempertatures should therefore be maintained.

Take a look at the manifolds produced by www.exhaustsbydesign.co.uk/ before making up your mind. Their 4;2;1 system has produces some very good results. tel 01280 847756

Edited by - Rob walker on 6 Sep 2002 09:19:01

Just to clarify what happens when you run an Emerald...

The Emerald can be set to ignore Lambda readings or it can be set to run closed loop. In order to keep a catalyst alive you will need to have the closed loop settings absolutely spot on which is very difficult to verify in the aftermarket arena. Good luck

This is different to the MEMS, which always expects a lambda input and does somthing sensible if the reading goes missing. The Emerald needs no such functionality because the decision to use or ignore the signal is in the user's control at setup time.

Yep I got this from Dave at Powerspeed

1 the price for full system including fitting is £530

2 yes lambda sensor can be postioned any where you wish

3 the lead time is around 3-4 weeks for booking in

I just got this from Graham at Exhausts by Design

I would need the car for this, 3 days? manifold £450+vat? silencer £200+

vat? I am booking in late Oct.Yes i can fit a lambda boss providing your

wiring is long enough.

Both are for stainless steel 4-2-1 systems, I certainly will be making the change to a Powerspeed system, probably in November.

cheers,

Mike