Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 in one exhaust

Ted_7

Hello

I'm trying to find the price of an exhaust collector for my 1.6K Rover but I'm a little bit lost in the Caterham price list *confused*

I'd like the one with the collector at the outside of the car (instead at the inside). Anyone have an idea of the price ? Where to buy ? Caterham or another place ?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Se7enly, Ted_7

I've just fitted a Powerspeed 4.2.1 with repackable silencer to my 1.6SS and the difference in the mid-range is superb. The car really picks it's self up and the sound-- well, awesome. I polished mine with various grades of wet and dry and then mop polished with Mother's Mag, took hours but it now looks ace. I'm a happy bunny *thumbup* 😬

Martin

I had an answer yesterday :

we can make you a 4-1 if required if still prefer as regards cost 4-1 would be £ 190 in mild steel or £300 stainless steel or for a 4-2-1 £220 mild steel or £350 stainless steel as the car is left hand drive i would need it to make the manifold on

Sounds good to me *thumbup*

Except that I need to cross the channel to install it *confused*

Not that I don't like UK, but I got lost everytime *mad*

Se7enly, Ted_7

Get them to fit the exhaust. Cutting the hole in the sideskin is probably a bigger deal than it sounds. I have to say they didn't do the tidiest job on mine, but then again they're comparatively cheap ("they don't charge for cutting the hole"), and (most importantly) the exhaust is an absolute corker. It is a piece of cake to tidy up the hole oneself witha set of needle files or dremel and then, at least it is exactly as you want it. The ali is supersoft by the way. I've got pictures of mine as it left Powerspeed and some after about 1hr tidying. Post here if you want me to put them up on the web.

James.

Ted,

Here are some pictures. This is before as I got the car from Powerspeed and this is after about 1 hr tidying. It could probably be better. The upgrade is definately worth it - it makes an obvious difference to the torque charcteristics with the power coming in about 1000 - 1500 rpm earlier (on a 1.6KSS). I decided to keep the cat for testing purposes and it is not possible to fit a long primary 4-2-1 and cat and silencer along the side of the car. I've got a 4-2-1 arrangement of primaries but at the moment they run into a 4-1 collector and into the std Caterham cat/silencer combination. The plan is to have a silencer and 4-2-1 collector made and simply swap the collectors and back system over for testing. Here's what it looks like at the moment.

Hope this is of help.

James.

Ted, you need to first buy a Garmin GPS Street Pilot III before buying an exhaust. In preparation for the Caterham Festivals, I bought one. You can download detailed maps, including of GB, and there is a 'voice system' (which can speak French without a Belgian accent *wink* )

in addition to the colour screen. It is light and can be used in all your cars with the non- skid Friction Mount *cool*

andycox,

It's fairly std, and it's on 14" wheels! It looks much lower with the 13"'s on.

Ted7,

That was my first reaction too! I wasn't impressed and rang them and told them so. As I said, "They don't charge for cutting the hole"!!! That's what I was told when I phoned. Anyway, it's not too difficult to tidy up - I should probably put some more time into mine. Also, look closely at other 7's holes. None are that tidy. The oval hole cut on the factory installations seems to be placed rather randomly. Also, I noticed on one of the links above that one example car with exhaust has had something rivetted around the hole - I suspect to cover up a poor job!

OK so a PowerSpeed 4-2-1 with repackable silencer seems to be the best candidate for my SL 1600SS. A few questions:

1. I want the complete system including silencer in stainless steel, does anyone have a price for this?

2. Does this system still allow you to fit a lambda sensor (I see in the pictures of the yellow car it's using the lambda sensor)?

3. If not what happens to the lambda sensor? Whats the effect of not fitting it?

4. How long does it take PoweSpeed to make up one of these systems?

5. How much does it cost to get them to install it as well?

thanks,

Mike.

Also, I noticed on one of the links above that one example car with exhaust has had something rivetted around the hole - I suspect to cover up a poor job!

I saw that picture too somewhere, I think that's the best thing to do to cover those cutting irregularities. I'm kinda maniac you know *cool*

Se7enly, Ted_7

OK so a PowerSpeed 4-2-1 with repackable silencer seems to be the best candidate for my SL 1600SS. A few questions:

1. I want the complete system including silencer in stainless steel, does anyone have a price for this?

2. Does this system still allow you to fit a lambda sensor (I see in the pictures of the yellow car it's using the lambda sensor)?

3. If not what happens to the lambda sensor? Whats the effect of not fitting it?

4. How long does it take PoweSpeed to make up one of these systems?

5. How much does it cost to get them to install it as well?

OK I've sent an email to Dave artpowerspeed asking him about questions 1, 2, 4 and 5.

However does anyone know the answer to question 3, what happens to the lambda sensor if it doesn't fit an after market exhausts (what's the effect on the ECU of not using it?)

thanks,

Mike

Lambda sensor:

These are my plans based on what I've read here and discussed with Powerspeed. The ideal location for the sensor is at the junction of all pipes just infront of the silencer/cat. This apparently provides the ECU with a more accurate representation of what is going on in the engine as a whole rather than the combustion results of No.4 cylinder. However, having the sensor outside the car IMO looks pants and I'm sure it would not be long until it was smashed / vandalised. My manifold has a sensor take off at No.4 pipe which I currently use with the rover ECU. My plan (when I get round to it) is to have the 4-2-1 collector made with a sensor take off point at the 2-1 stage. I understand that ECU's like the Emerald can be set up such that the sensor is only required for initial mapping / setting up. The reason I've not yet got the rest of the system is that I want an Emerald at the same time. I intend to complete the system, get an Emerald and once set up on the external sensor, remove the sensor and blank off both sensor holes. I think there is a "safe "setting on the Emerald, such that when I re-fit the cat exhaust, I can plug the sensor back into the in-engine bay position and switch the ECU to a different setup.

If this is inaccurate (or a bad idea) can someone let me know!!!

James.