Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avon ZZ3 tyres

pete east

Not sure if I have got the description right, but saw this tyre type on a colleagues Caterham, and wondered if they were any good grip and wearwise,

I suspect my tyres will reach their use by date this year, and have started looking at replacements, and quite liked the look of the Avons, anyone got any comments regarding this type including likely prices and where they can be obtained from?

As usual any comments (even rude ones! 😬) would be welcome.

Regards

Pete.

ZZ3s (originally ZZ1s) were standard fit on 16" rims and I found they had a good balance between grip and life - they easily lasted 20k miles (vs 5k for my CR500s).

I sprinted with them for a few seasons - they weren't as good as the 'in vogue' tyres of the year, but they weren't as bad as Michelin Pilots.

It all depends on what you are using them for?

Steve

ZZ3s are excellent for wear - but not for grip 😳

Personally, I go for Toyo R888 which are excellent for both road and track - although the wear factor is not so great *wink* Otherwise can you still get Yoko A021s in this size?

Andy - AR ReHaB

The Cat in front is a Toyota ....

Thank you for your replies. My Seven is road use only, so not sure if the grip levels will be a problem, especially as I have been on Goodyear Eagles, which seemed to have been carved out of old desk tops. (they tramline quire a lot too! 😬)

It is just that I prefer the shape of the ZZ3`s, At least they look good on my colleagues car.

I guess I am looking for a tyre which has squarer rather than rounded edges, where the sidewall goes onto the tread. Not so keen on the look of tyres with rounded shoulders /edges, between sidewall and tread. I think rounded edge tyres make sevens look a bit soapy (like a bar of soap that has been used too much! 😬)

Given the above, any other suggestions would be welcome

My car went quite happily across the USA in 2005 with ZZ3's on Pete...

Plenty of grip for the road as far as I'm concerned.

I tend to replace them every 10k as thats when they wear out for me...