Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pedal Stops - this is a new one to me.....

jradley

Hi,

Having moved my pedals to the rearmost mounting I decided to fit pedal stops, since the concensus of opinion is this is generally a good idea and now I have more pedal travel I figured even more so.

The clutch pedal stop is just a straight bolt with a disc welded on the end, and it seems most people mount it through the top of the pedal box where the master cylinder bolt would go if it were a hydraulic clutch. So far so good.

The throttle pedal stop however is the same but comes with a collar cut at 45 degrees to angle the bolt when fitted, which doesn't make sense if fitting it to the top of the pedal box. Confused I gave CC a call.

Apparently, neither of the stops should be fitted to the top of the pedal box at all ! It seems they are meant to go through the leading face of the footwell so the pedals push down onto them, limiting their travel that way, rather than acting at the top of the pedal (where the leverage is greater).

Does anyone have any photos of the pedal stops installed this way ? Apparenlty new builds out the factory are supplied this way as standard. I could do with a looksie to see where exactly to drill !

Cheers,

John

John,

Can't help with Photos (as my car is still at Caterham ☹️) but they are fitted in the leading face as you say. The accelerator has the angled collar as it needs to be at a slightly different angle for the throttle to hit it.

Makes more sense for them to be there as it feels really solid (i.e. you know you've hit it). Fitting them at the top would perhaps enable you to bend the pedal (or something else)

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

When mine came as part of the kit,(or should I say somewhat later with other missing parts) it came with a factory note with a drawing showing the exact place to drill two holes & mount the stops. I have to admit it was a bit of a pain to reach as i had fitted the engine so had to do it from inside the car

Hi,

Many thanks for all the hints and pointers.

One thing I'm rapidly learning about Caterhams is there is often no right or wrong way of doing things, only what works for you on your car....

It turns out that the position as recommended by Caterham would only seem to apply to newer chassis, or at least different footwell designs to mine. Mine has a small angled bit at the bottom then a vertical section. With the pedals on their rearmost position the stops are way too short to fit down in the footwell, so that wasn't an option afterall.

I have fitted them in the top of the pedal box, which was actually quite easy to do and they seems quite practical. I think I would have to seriously abuse the pedals to risk bending anything so they should be fine.

I've put a couple of photos up here and here which may help others in my situation.

Cheers,

John