Click here if you are having website access problems ×

steering rack makes a click when turning steering wheel

Hanns Per

today just at the beginning of my holiday trip I noticed the following which makes me feel uncertain.

when turning the steering whell in the steering rack there is a click exactly where the steering column gis. I can turn the wheels manually without clicking.

is this a setting issue? can it be corrected? do I need immediately replacement part? Can I continue my holidayws?

car has 42000km

thanks for feedback

my CSR 200 with Cosworth roller barrell

blatting the alps in a CSR 200 now 220

Does it click as soon as you turn one way, then click again as soon as you turn the other, or does it click as it passes a specific spot in its travel?

If the former it could be a slight loosening in the clamp between the upper and lower steering columns. Search on here for how to adjust/tighten it - a simple task. I only post because mine did this a couple of times until I got it spot-on.

See my Build Cam to check on my Roadsport Sigma.

Steering column clamp above the pedal box would the be first thing to check. Slacken off the centre grub screw and the outer nuts/bolts just enough that it's loose. Tighten up the grub screw so it makes contact with the column then tighten up the outer nuts/bolts to put pressure on the grub screw to column meeting point. That's my method anyway.

You could check by getting someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth whilst you hold the clamp and see if you can feel the click.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care

Thak You I did all the checks and retightend the joint between the upper and lower column and helaz the dlick disappeared. It seems the root cause was in this joint but accustically mappeared in the rack interesting

Thanky you very much holidays can continue blue sky nice roads in the alps

Hanns Per

my CSR 200 with Cosworth roller barrell

blatting the alps in a CSR 200 now 220