Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adjusting standard Spax dampees

JACK FLASH

My Twin Cam has the absolute standard suspension with the black Spax dampers (no height adjustment, only a screw to adjust the damping).

Turning the screw clockwise stiffens the dampers and turning them counterclockwise softens them ? Correct ?

When and where are the dampers at the softest position ? When the screw has been completely unscrewed or at the last click before that point ?

The screws at the front dampers are not at the same position when completely unscrewed. Should they be at the same position or shouldn' t they ?

How many positions / clicks have these dampers got ?

Jack Flash

Hi Jack,

Don't know for sure, but my guess would be the last click before the screw is completely out? I have a set of these myself, so I'll have a play and see if I can work it out.

I also doubt the screws will be in the exact same position when completely unscrewed, I'd just count the clicks and be happy with that.

Have you got those wheels sorted yet?

Jack

I had some of these Spax adjustables on a Saab V4 saloon car many years ago.

From the screw turned right out (anticlockwise) it would go in one or two turns until the first proper definite click. The number of turns to the first click was inconsistent between the four dampers. I counted this as click "1".

I seem to recall they were meant to have 15 settings but the screws could be turned in (clockwise) through as many clicks as you wanted. So I also tried turning them to "max" by going through say 25 clicks then calling that position 15.

I did not have a happy time with Spax. The adjustment is only on the bump setting. I found them to be quite poor at offering any useful change to the handling of the car. Movements of less than 4 clicks were inperceptible from behind the wheel. Increased settings spoilt the ride and made it grip less but continued to allow the car to float badly. After a few disappointing weeks I reverted to the old dampers and then moved on to Bilsteins from which I never looked back.

I would hope on a 7 you can get some more meaningful tuning from them, but I suspect a set of standard CC Billies may serve you better. Often for sale in BC

Cheers

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

I am glad that I am not the only one with Spax adjusting questions / troubles. 😬

A couple of months ago I changed back to the standard front dampers / springs - this in order to get as much ride height as possible - but the car failed at the front suspension test at the annual MOT in Belgium.

The ground - wheel contact at the front was not sufficient and there was a left - right difference. My reasoning is that the front dampers were too stiff causing the car to jump at the test and that the left and right damper were not at the same setting.

The dampers at the rear axle were at 4 clicks and they passed the test.

Les, I am still polishing (when not blatting or working at the car) but I hope to get them on the car with a set of new tyres during the winter. It never stops ...

Jack Flash

I suggest your Spax shockers and springs are old and worn out , as others have said 15 clicks from fully anti clock wise min setting.

In 28 years plus of using Spax I never used more than 2/3 clicks rear and perhaps 1/2 front. I changed to AVOs 3 years ago best thing I ever done the suspension actually works now!! kept the spring rates low 175 front 125 rear (my cars a A series engined series 2)

Brian

Brian,

In a worst case scenario, I have to put on 2 new dampers at the front but first I' ll have another try with the dampers at the softest setting and a tyre pressure of 1.2 bar.

Your experience with AVO' s is very usefull to me. I know they are not that expensive and I would like to stick with a simple low tech setup of the car. Have you got a reference / supplier for these dampers ? I suppose these AVO' s are fixed height dampers just as the Spax. Correct ?

Jack Flash

The AVOs have adjustable spring seats so you can set your ride height below is a link to there web site ,( They also list Lotus 7 as well , I had to modify my rear lower mountings to fit to my series 2 but I am still using the old 'Standard' axle etc) I also purchased my springs from them . Old springs are not worth using I always change springs and shocks together .I am not sure how old your units are but even not used and standing they age and deteroirate

http://www.avouk.com/CatalogueFrameset-84.htm

Brian