Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series - Duratec conversion

philwaters

Interesting Pendennis

On racing motorcyles you don't set the ride height by preloading the springs. Spring preload has to be within certain parameters. Static sag with and without rider have to be a certain percentage of total travel. Total travel also has to be controlled by the rate of the spring.

Forks are moved up and down the yokes to get the ride height at the front. Rear shock mounting points are moved or are sometimes adjustable for rear ride height.

This means that the spring / spring preload are independant of ride height.

Sounds like what you are doing is deciding on a spring pre-load and adjusting the spring rate to get the ride height.

Am I close?

I'm gonna go measure me shocks. This has got me thinking. On the race bike too much spring pre-load was a big no no.

Ammo

Raceco.com

Yes, in a way Ammo, but I think the spring rate I am ending up with is nothing out of the ordinary. I have always tried to set my race cars up with no pre-load, so yes there will be a little sag on the rear.

On my Duratec Cateham, I have established in getting front pivot points pararell, the front springs need to be circa 350lb X 7" and with roughly 15mm rake rear springs need to be circa 150lb X 11.5" long . These are not the rates I am currently using but it's the softest I would recommend for track work.

But, although rake is important I don't go with 'it must be 15mm' as I tend to look at percentages. I am racing with about 54% on rear axle which appears to be working *wink*

I also don't go too much with getting MY corner weights spot on as it requires pre-loading of springs. At the end of the day you need to make comprises setting up a Caterham, this I take on board. I aim for equal diagonals *thumbup*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Edited by - Pendennis on 22 Aug 2009 11:39:25

Edited by - Pendennis on 22 Aug 2009 17:05:50