Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Old style heater removal from HPC

kenny.

I've just removed the old style and large heater assembley from the car as it is in need of a cosmetic fettle and is spoiling a nice engine bay. I won't be refitting it but will keep it in case I ever sell the car.

Anyway just a couple of points I'd like advice on please from any gents here who've done this.

1) I'm now left with the big circular hole in centre of bulkhead flanked by the 2 oblong but radiused holes. Ali underneath is mint by the way much to my surprise.

Do I just plasma cut some nice fitting alloy sheet blanking plates and rivet/screw/sikaflex them on or is there a neater method? i.e. would you re-do the whole bulk head or do caterham use another method?

2) I'm assuming I just re-route the heater hose from submarine pipe back into the rear of head.........slight problem there. The outlet from head is very close to the largish oil feed pipe on top of bell tank (dry sumped car)..is there a custom pipe for this to get the angle of entry correct or do I just make up an elbow and join it via that.

Any answers from anyone whose had this done or who has a similar conversion would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Kenny

I put in a new bulkhead/heater section but I was changing the scuttle anyway. Its a bit of a pain to do it mostly as it was the 3rd one CC supplied that fitted 😬 Not thier fault lots of mods to the pedal box at the time when my car body was made and as ever parts were really helpful *thumbup*

However, most who were doing the same at that time just blanked it off

As to the heater hose I take its not a BDR engine 🤔 if it is just as bob said

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - Bilbo on 4 Aug 2009 20:12:42

My early car sounds like the arrangement you have. Caterham supplied a single flat blanking plate that covered all 3 holes.

You can run the VX without a feed to the back of the head but having done that I now prefer to use the extra flow for optimum cooling. I use a 180 degree samco hose bend which when fitted allows a fairly straight run back to the submarine fitting at the front

Ex Chairman Roger

Edited by - ECR on 4 Aug 2009 20:35:30

Bob, Bilbo, many thanks for that. Didn't think I could just cap the back of the head, cheers for the pic of the heater hole blank but I think thats for the smaller more modern heater.

Roger, the samco hose you mention would sort my problems,is it an off the shelf part? if I did blank the inlet at back of the head then what would I do with the feed from submarine tube......blank that as well, I'm a bit like you to be honest with regards to getting as much water around the engine as possible.

Many thanks guys, really appreciated.

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Yes, it's a standard bend .... The bend willl "open up" slightly when you fit it to get round the corner of the head

If you blank the rear of the head then blank the submarine also. I purchased a submarine from caterham with 2 outlets.

*thumbup* Thanks Roger, that gives me a choice. If I can get that Samco hose great, If not at least I now know about the 2 outlet submarine pipe.

I've missed these little conundrums whilst not having a se7en for a few years *wink*

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo