Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drilling holes in carbon?

Tim Smith

I've just bought an interchangeable aeroscreen kit and need to fit it. To do this I need to drill various holes for mirror mounts etc.

What's the best way to do this as I'm worried the carbon will split? Wood drill? Tape all around the hole location to prevent it from fragmenting?

Any advive would be most useful!

• Area Representative

Just like drilling fibreglass *biggrin* I use a bit of masking tape to stop the drill bit skidding off, a normal HSS (for metal drilling) bit and drill a pilot hole and then go through with the required size. Works a treat, just start gently as you would with any drilling

HTH

Nick

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...

Mask up on both sides, measure a dozen times and dril once (needless to say). >8mm prefer not to drill a pilot hole as the final size bit can catch on the pilot hole and split the laminate. Light pressure, high speed with HSS or cobalt bit (sharp). Finish with a large countersink bit on both sides to smooth the edges. Ideally you should seal the hole with some clear coat as water ingress over time my cause some delamination.

You ought to be wearing gloves and mask at the minimum but if you're not doing it for a living (like me) you won't come to any harm. A nice bit of carbon dust in a cut on your finger will go straight into your bloodstream.......

If you're mounting mirrors etc to the screen, you should isolate the alloy mount from the carbon to prevent electrolytic corrosion (the clear coat will bubble around the fitting and give it a little time, your 5mm holes will become 6 etc). Some PVC tape on the back of the mirror mount will suffice - use a nylon washer under your nut and stainless washer on the other side.

Must get back to my accounts.......