Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Strange tickover sound on VX dry sump engine

kenny.

When engine is started for first time from cold everything sounds well and engine idles nicely but I have this annoying noise which I can't trace exactly coming from front of engine bay.

It's a repetitive, tick,tick,tick but to explain further the "ticks" sound like puffs of air being emitted *confused*........run the car up the road bring it back and noise has gone.

Anyone any ideas, only thing I can think of is the Caterham dry sump purging itself or something related to this.

Many thanks

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

...and it is definitely not tappets? The C20XE can be prone to noisy hydraulic lifters.

One (or more) of my tappets is noisy when the engine is cold sometimes and makes an annoying tick tick tick sound, though I guess that is more of a tappetty tappetty rather than ouff puff noise. Never lasts more than a couple of mins and then goes at some point when I am on the move.

Just a thought anyway.

Dave

Cheers for that Dave *thumbup* Deffo not tappets but the "puff" noise you mention is EXACTLY what it sounds like, spot on!!.....has to be air I guess

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Edited by - kenny. on 10 Jun 2009 07:55:30